Traditional seminaries?
I have a very close friend that is considering the priest hood. He has asked for my humble opinion about where he should go to seminary. Can someone give me some examples of good traditional seminaries that ARE in communion with Rome?
(07-23-2014, 07:53 AM)Copeland Wrote: I have a very close friend that is considering the priest hood. He has asked for my humble opinion about where he should go to seminary. Can someone give me some examples of good traditional seminaries that ARE in communion with Rome?

Good, traditional, what's the last one mean exactly?  You know, since the last qualifier is still being debated.
It's easy. FSSP, Christ the King, Redemptorist, St. Vincent, etc etc… and before we have Franciscan of the Immaculate, but has been destroyed by Pope Francis.
(07-23-2014, 08:14 AM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(07-23-2014, 07:53 AM)Copeland Wrote: I have a very close friend that is considering the priest hood. He has asked for my humble opinion about where he should go to seminary. Can someone give me some examples of good traditional seminaries that ARE in communion with Rome?

Good, traditional, what's the last one mean exactly?  You know, since the last qualifier is still being debated.

Indeed. Even the Holy See says that the Society of St. Pius X is in communion with Rome, just not in a regular situation.

"Communion with Rome" given the modern usage is a pretty meaningless term, if even the Orthodox are in "partial" communion, and are "particular Churches".

To the OP:  Do you thus mean, a "seminary attached to an order or diocese which has a normal and regular status according to the Holy See"? Or do you mean something else?
(07-27-2014, 07:09 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

Indeed. Even the Holy See says that the Society of St. Pius X is in communion with Rome, just not in a regular situation.

"Communion with Rome" given the modern usage is a pretty meaningless term, if even the Orthodox are in "partial" communion, and are "particular Churches".

To the OP:  Do you thus mean, a "seminary attached to an order or diocese which has a normal and regular status according to the Holy See"? Or do you mean something else?

Yeah, you're just asking for trouble by using that phrase "in communion with Rome".

Still, I feel like for the most part, you'll get 2 out of 3 if you use those qualifiers.

I'd still argue the SSPX meets all 3.  Just saying...
(07-28-2014, 08:26 AM)LoneWolfRadTrad Wrote:
(07-27-2014, 07:09 PM)MagisterMusicae Wrote:

Yeah, you're just asking for trouble by using that phrase "in communion with Rome".

Exactly, if we use the traditional understanding of that phrase, then no problem, but then the SSPX and all Catholic traditionalist groups except perhaps sedevacantists are "in communion with Rome".

If you opt for the post-Vatican II use of "communion" the phrase is meaningless since Protestants are by the Holy See's own admission "in communion" ... and methinks we would not be recommending a Protestant or Orthodox seminary simply because it is in a meaningless state of "partial communion".