Sinful or No?
I am playing a game at the moment called "Monster Warlord". Within this game, there is someone who keeps on attacking me with their monsters and taking my money and health away. I was very frustrated. I attacked him back with my allies that are in the game. I did so because I could not defeat him on my own, and also because if I didn't, my money would be taken away from me all the time as to where I would hardly have any left (as to what I see). I know "Monster Warlord" is just a game where you battle to gain money, skills, and so on, but would me doing what I did be considered revenge, especially since I was frustrated at what he did?
It would only be considered a sin if it took up so much of your time that you missed Holy mass on Sunday.
Is this someone your fellow human being neighbour? There's your answer.
Why is it that I think that there's something not quite "right" about all the games people play (and t.v. shows we watch) and the amount of time spent doing so?  (I guess it could be my age.... :LOL: :O!)
(07-24-2014, 09:53 AM)J Michael Wrote: Why is it that I think that there's something not quite "right" about all the games people play (and t.v. shows we watch) and the amount of time spent doing so?  (I guess it could be my age.... :LOL: :O!)

I wouldn't say there's something wrong with all games people play, but with most of them.
I don't think that it's sinful. The same logic would have us call playing offensively in a game like chess or a contact sport sinful, which seems a little ridiculous to me. Just bear in mind that it's only a game!
(07-24-2014, 12:30 PM)nuntius Wrote: I don't think that it's sinful. The same logic would have us call playing offensively in a game like chess or a contact sport sinful, which seems a little ridiculous to me. Just bear in mind that it's only a game!

Well, I guess I should've been more specific.  I was referring mostly to video/computer/internet games.  While not necessarily sinful in and of themselves, the amount of time and energy that many young people spend engrossed in these things could be considered at best a waste of precious time, and at worst, perhaps, even sinful.  Just the opinion of a crumpy old man  :grin:.
(07-24-2014, 01:26 PM)J Michael Wrote:
(07-24-2014, 12:30 PM)nuntius Wrote: I don't think that it's sinful. The same logic would have us call playing offensively in a game like chess or a contact sport sinful, which seems a little ridiculous to me. Just bear in mind that it's only a game!

Well, I guess I should've been more specific.  I was referring mostly to video/computer/internet games.  While not necessarily sinful in and of themselves, the amount of time and energy that many young people spend engrossed in these things could be considered at best a waste of precious time, and at worst, perhaps, even sinful.  Just the opinion of a crumpy old man  :grin:.

I completely agree with you. I know so many people who spend so much time playing games. As for those who spend their lives on games or a game, I wonder how they can do it?

Well, in "Monster Warlord", the game calls it "Alliance Revenge" when you gather your allies to attack the one who attacked you for you or with you. Even though it wasn't sinful for me to do this, as you say, it seems as if the game promotes revenge. So, I deleted "Monster Warlord" due to that.
Well, virtue is increased and fortified by habit. Is this sort of habit, even if not sinful, good for promoting virtue or can it even be destructive?