When did the Saturday afternoon vigil become common?
As title - when did it become commonly practiced for there to be a Vigil Mass on Saturday afternoon?
(07-27-2014, 06:37 PM)Sunset Wrote: As title - when did it become commonly practiced for there to be a Vigil Mass on Saturday afternoon?

It seems that the faculty was first permitted in 1964 - the Sunday obligation could be satisfied by attending a Mass said after I Vespers of Sunday; it was announced on Vatican Radio. As to when it became common, I would imagine by the  1970s it was common, and was of course enshrined in the 1983 CIC.

This article has some interesting information and background.
Does the Liturgy of the Hours have a 1st and 2nd Vespers for Sundays and other feast days?
(07-31-2014, 12:55 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Does the Liturgy of the Hours have a 1st and 2nd Vespers for Sundays and other feast days?

For Sundays and Solemnities; Feasts of the Lord if they fall on a Sunday also have both Vespers. Other Feasts, Memorials and ferias only have Vespers on the actual day. This is basically inherited from the 1960 rubrics - Sundays and I Class feasts have I and II Vespers, II Class feasts of  the Lord if they fall on Sunday have I Vespers, and III and IV Class days begin at Matins and end at Compline.
This thread brings up a question I have been pondering. So, did the TLM ever have such a thing as a "Saturday Vigil" ? I know  at least one church that does the Sunday TLM on a Saturday at 6pm. Been wondering about that a bit.  ???
(08-13-2014, 09:21 PM)GrottoAl Wrote: This thread brings up a question I have been pondering. So, did the TLM ever have such a thing as a "Saturday Vigil" ? I know  at least one church that does the Sunday TLM on a Saturday at 6pm. Been wondering about that a bit.  ???

Not in recent centuries, certainly. Prior canon law did not permit Mass to begin more than one hour before dawn nor more than one hour after noon.