Teaching in a NO parish school
After Mass this morning, my pastor asked me if I would be interested in teaching (of all things) religion at our parish school this year.  This is a decidedly Novus Ordo parish with your typical run of the mill NO liturgical life.  I believe that the text books used for the religion classes are from Ave Maria publishing.  What do you all think?  How would it be for a Trad like me (I guess I align myself most closely with the FSSP) to teach religion in a school like this?  Would you do it?  Also, if anyone has any information about Ave Maria Publishing (the faithfulness of their texts etc.) I would appreciate that as well.  Thanks!
Good luck, and make sure you reference JPII and the documents of Vatican II for almost everything. Don't think about quoting any encyclicals or documents written after 1965 unless its a theology textbook by Yves Congar,Jean.Danielou,Karl Rahner,Joseph Ratzinger or John Courtney Murray.
Sounds like an opportunity to form young children in the Authentic Faith.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
(07-28-2014, 01:37 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Good luck, and make sure you reference JPII and the documents of Vatican II for almost everything. Don't think about quoting any encyclicals or documents written after 1965 unless its a theology textbook by Yves Congar,Jean.Danielou,Karl Rahner,Joseph Ratzinger or John Courtney Murray.

Funny....But I worry that this is what I will actually be expected to do.
(07-28-2014, 01:41 PM)RyanPatrick Wrote: Sounds like an opportunity to form young children in the Authentic Faith.
I thought of that :)
I would hope that's the case...even if it did result in me losing my job!
(07-28-2014, 02:16 PM)2HeartsServant Wrote:
(07-28-2014, 01:37 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Good luck, and make sure you reference JPII and the documents of Vatican II for almost everything. Don't think about quoting any encyclicals or documents written after 1965 unless its a theology textbook by Yves Congar,Jean.Danielou,Karl Rahner,Joseph Ratzinger or John Courtney Murray.

Funny....But I worry that this is what I will actually be expected to do.

Part of me meant it in all seriousness. The modern Church will shut you out if you don't speak in modern terms. You will get nowhere with Baltimore Catechisms and the writings of LeoXXIII or Pius XII. Just be prepared to find out how to creatively teach the faith using and referencing Vatican II,JPII et. al. The new orthodoxy looks to the Council as the bedrock of Catholicism, period. Whether liberals or neo conservatives it makes no difference; the Council is the cornerstone.
Will this pose a risk to your primary job? If this is the case things complicate a bit, but if this is indeed the case, I'll join formerbuddhist and recommend that you use Ratzinger, von Balthasar, et al. I think they can be used by us trads, if we could only pass our irrational fears and mob mentality and have a bit of subtlety.

I would, if I were in your position, accept the job. Those liberals didn't hesitate to get into teaching positions that were once held by faithful Catholics. We shouldn't also.
I'd definitely say, take the job. You can do your best to properly form young minds. Look at it this way: if you are in the position, trying to teach the authentic Faith, that means the position isn't being filled by some yahoo who somehow believes the Church began in 1965, and such. I don't know what job you refer to as one you might possibly lose, but you are being offered a chance to help some to learn the Faith. I don't know about Ave Maria publishing, but have you considered that, depending on the content of the books, you could use them as a springboard, and augment with proper catechism?

(07-28-2014, 02:17 PM)2HeartsServant Wrote:
(07-28-2014, 01:41 PM)RyanPatrick Wrote: Sounds like an opportunity to form young children in the Authentic Faith.
I thought of that :)
I would hope that's the case...even if it did result in me losing my job!
I wouldn't imagine you'd need to quote von Balthazar around young children or you'd get the oddest look. If they're teenagers, go right for it along with St Augustine, the Imitatio, St Louis de Montfort, St Thomas Aquinas, and Pope Benedict. You've been put in a job to educate and teach the faith to children, so do just that. You've got a catechism and 2,000 years of history to back up what you say should you get reprimanded. Ave Maria Press is associated with the Congregation of the Holy Cross, and from what I can see on the website they publish a broad range of theological and spiritual works both traditional, common sense, and nonsense. Their textbooks look typical "cool teen" style, not unlike LifeTeen would use.

Certainly take that job, it'd be a blessing for you and your students.
Thank you for your thoughts, everyone!