Teaching in a NO parish school
(07-28-2014, 02:31 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote:
(07-28-2014, 02:16 PM)2HeartsServant Wrote:
(07-28-2014, 01:37 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Good luck, and make sure you reference JPII and the documents of Vatican II for almost everything. Don't think about quoting any encyclicals or documents written after 1965 unless its a theology textbook by Yves Congar,Jean.Danielou,Karl Rahner,Joseph Ratzinger or John Courtney Murray.

Funny....But I worry that this is what I will actually be expected to do.

Part of me meant it in all seriousness. The modern Church will shut you out if you don't speak in modern terms. You will get nowhere with Baltimore Catechisms and the writings of LeoXXIII or Pius XII. Just be prepared to find out how to creatively teach the faith using and referencing Vatican II,JPII et. al. The new orthodoxy looks to the Council as the bedrock of Catholicism, period. Whether liberals or neo conservatives it makes no difference; the Council is the cornerstone.
I think that it is possible to teach Catholic tradition using modern terms. 
(07-28-2014, 05:38 PM)dahveed Wrote: I'd definitely say, take the job. You can do your best to properly form young minds. Look at it this way: if you are in the position, trying to teach the authentic Faith, that means the position isn't being filled by some yahoo who somehow believes the Church began in 1965, and such.

I teach English at a public high school, where of course I am required to stay neutral on issues like religion.  However, I am able to give accurate information about a wide variety of things, including answers to their questions about what different religions believe.  My thinking is, if I weren't in the job, who would be?  Sure, I can't tell the students everything I believe and ask them to become traditional Catholics, but I can expose them to logic, argumentation, and research practices.  Would another teacher do the same?  Similarly, even if you have to use a specific textbook, even if you have to quote "liberal" theologians (I don't think the students at my predominantly Catholic public school get much von Balthasar or Yves Congar at confirmation class...probably more like "Jesus is really cool...be cool like Jesus" stuff), you can still use it as an opportunity to be accurate and available, and have a role and an influence you wouldn't otherwise have.