Before you discovered traditional Catholicism, had you heard of Fatima?
(08-09-2014, 07:46 PM)Sequentia Wrote: Our Lady of Fatima is one of my personal/private devotions but I do not obsess over these apparitions. I don't see what traditional Catholicism has to do with knowing about Our Lady of Fatima.
Because the Conciliar Church de-emphasizes Our Virgin Mother. Vatican II was going to give her her own document, but instead she got relegated to a chapter of another document, purely for ecumaniacal reasons.
(08-09-2014, 07:46 PM)Sequentia Wrote: I highly recommend the book "Fatima for Today: The Urgent Marian Message of Hope" by Fr. Andrew Apostoli and the movie "The 13th Day."
Fr. John de Marchi, I.M.C.'s The True Story of Fatima is very good.
(08-10-2014, 06:34 PM)Geremia Wrote: Vatican II was going to give her her own document, but instead she got relegated to a chapter of another document, purely for ecumaniacal reasons.

Is this true (ie the reasons you state were the only reasons for this decision)?

Vatican II is the most Marian Council of all by a long shot.  To me, it seem less irenical to include the doctrine on her in the Dogmatic Constitution on the Church.  it shows that she and the truths about her are integral and fundamental elements of Christ's Church, not something additional or tacked on.

Anyway, as for Fatima, I knew about it long before discovering that the TLM was still being offered in the Church.  We watched videos about it in CCD.  Likewise, where I was from, while most of the parishes I knew had replica Lourdes grottoes (many of the churches with them were built after Vatican II), these parishes probably conducted just as many Fatima pilgrimages as Lourdes and had more Fatima literature in the back.

(08-11-2014, 10:41 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Vatican II is the most Marian Council of all by a long shot.
If you measure it by how many times she's mentioned, but quantity ≠ quality.
It was Fatima that convicted me of the Catholic faith. It was as if God was saying "Yes, I do exist." Something that cannot be dismissed by the a arguments of sceptics happened there. Apart from the Gospels, when has God ever given such a sign pre-announced? If you ask the right questions you can clearly see that miracles do happen, whether you want to believe or not.

Yes, Fatima was one of the first things that I learned about Catholicism.
(08-11-2014, 11:57 AM)Geremia Wrote:
(08-11-2014, 10:41 AM)SaintSebastian Wrote: Vatican II is the most Marian Council of all by a long shot.
If you measure it by how many times she's mentioned, but quantity ≠ quality.

What's wrong with the quality?
I had heard of Fatima along time ago as well as Lourdes. My parents prayed and such, but really were not that concerned about Fatima if they heard of it,nor seemed to care really. They weren't into all these marian apparitions and such. Maybe daddy's relatives in Germany and momma's in Hungary visited some of the Marian shrines in their homelands, but it was never that important .Momma and daddy  said mainly the Our Father,Hail Mary and Glory Be as prayers. One of daddy's aunts gave us a picture of Our Lady of Grace  with a house blessing below Our Lady's picture. Still have it hanging on the living room wall.I think to them it was more important to honor Jesus,the Holy Spirit and Mary as mother of God, more than anything else,,,,,,,,,especially Jesus Our Lord.
(07-29-2014, 10:34 PM)Geremia Wrote: Before you discovered traditional Catholicism (the pre-Vatican II Mass, etc.), had you heard of Our Lady of Fatima?
Yes.