Pat Buchanan: Stop the Coming Obamnesty!
(08-06-2014, 11:43 AM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I used to be one of those guys who loved ALIPAC, the Minutemen Project and all those ultra far right anti legal and illegal immigration groups but I've softened as I've gotten older. Ironically I've always dated women who were either foreign or the daughters of foreigners and my current woman is a Fillipina who, as we speak, is about to lose her job because her visa is expiring. It's a huge hassle to go through all the immigration red tape, the fees, the uncertainty. As far as Mexicans go they don't really bother me, I mean, most of them are literally just trying to find jobs and contrary to the propaganda many actually are willing to work jobs that Americans just won't. Last year I went to a meeting with local farmers and some politician to discuss immigration and these farmers were practically begging for many of these workers to be allowed to stay without hassle, as they cannot find people other than them to work. I'm completely opposed to Muslim immigration,but Mexicans and others who are not Muslim I say we should make it easier.

What I do not like is how on both sides of the immigration divide it seems as if very little is done. The "close the borders" groups get a bone thrown to them when Immigration Authorities raid a Tyson Chicken Plant and deport workers and yet on the other side little is done to come up with a solution to bring in or make legal the workers that are here that want to stay. What ends up happening is those that are the most vulnerable--the workers, many of whom speak little English, have little money and little education---are the ones kept in limbo. If they are always illegal than businesses can pay them less, put them in substandard working and living conditions and hold over their heads the threat of deportation for complaining. Meanwhile the authors can drum up the whole immigration debate every election season. Politicians and businessmen get a polarizing issue to drum up votes and a higher profit due to he slave wages they pay the immigrant workers who are too scared to fight for fair wages and better conditions.

I know all the anti immigrant stuff, I was deep into all that; all the stuff about American ranchers getting shot on their land, cops going to jail for doing their job, disease coming in and all the rest. Sadly those things are inevitable on the border of probably any nation where there are poor starving masses just across the way. The US government needs to do something that helps everyone in this equation.

I think it's sort of sad that these discussions are always framed in terms of "what the government should do for us." Obviously, the government has an obligation to its citizens, but beyond that, what of the obligation of the citizen to his government and country? Have we really declined so far that left-liberals, and really even right-liberals, can't even agree with JFK's assertion that we ought not to ask what our country can do for us but rather what we can do for our country? Do we no longer believe in the concepts of duty, self-sacrifice, and the common good, and are good Catholics really supposed to be parasites who benefit from those goods provided by the state while doing everything in their power to undermine it? In my opinion, immigration, like all other issues, ought to be discussed in light of the common good, not in terms of how much free stuff we deserve to receive from the government and whether or not it is fair or consistent to deny that free stuff to everyone else in the world. Of course, these days even our government encourages us to carry on political debates in these terms, and in fact it even justifies its existence as that of a provider of useful and desirable services, but one would think that Catholics, at least, supposedly understanding the relational nature of man, would realize the errors and dangers of this development.
(08-06-2014, 02:34 PM)J Michael Wrote: More specifically:
[Image: Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe-Shrine-Mexico-City.jpg]

Why does that look like a space ship? Crazy!

Actually that looks like it's got a lot of features in common with more traditional native architecture and with some of the more nativized mission churches.
(08-06-2014, 07:45 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(08-06-2014, 01:21 AM)Poche Wrote: If all are entitled to come, they will come. And they will remake the West and America in their own image, Obama's image, the image of that Tower of Babel, the United Nations General Assembly.

Remaking America in the image of C entral America means that we will become a predominantly Catholic country.

If you can call that region Catholic.  Eye-roll
Predominantly Catholic
(08-07-2014, 12:24 AM)Sunset Wrote:
(08-06-2014, 02:34 PM)J Michael Wrote: More specifically:
[Image: Our-Lady-of-Guadalupe-Shrine-Mexico-City.jpg]

Why does that look like a space ship? Crazy!

Actually that looks like it's got a lot of features in common with more traditional native architecture and with some of the more nativized mission churches.

You may well be correct.  But when I first saw it the first thing that crossed my mind was this:

[Image: close-encounters-3.jpg]
(08-06-2014, 09:04 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I expect to be extremely busy this Fall helping immigrants under the Obamnesty.  I'm very glad for my clients who need this for themselves and their families.

What about all the  the unchecked diseases just flowing on in and what about the criminals, murderers and gang members just flowing on in not to mention possible terrorists, weapons and just bad people coming in too. What about the poor souls living near the border being overwhelmed or the towns where these folks are being shipped to without the citizens having any say at all. What about the other folks in this world who want to come here legally but wait patienly. What about our sovereignty as nation which much blood has been spilled, a nation without borders is no longer a nation, a weak America is bad for this world. There is nothing virtuous about this situation at all. These poor kids are nothing but pawns used by this corrupt administration and the gangs shipping them in here for their own worldly purposes. We might as well open up the rest of the country for the poor people in the other continents too. My heart is broken for whats happening in my country and woe to the younger generations. America is slowly dying.
(08-07-2014, 12:23 PM)John64 Wrote:
(08-06-2014, 09:04 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: I expect to be extremely busy this Fall helping immigrants under the Obamnesty.  I'm very glad for my clients who need this for themselves and their families.

What about all the  the unchecked diseases just flowing on in and what about the criminals, murderers and gang members just flowing on in not to mention possible terrorists, weapons and just bad people coming in too. What about the poor souls living near the border being overwhelmed or the towns where these folks are being shipped to without the citizens having any say at all. What about the other folks in this world who want to come here legally but wait patienly. What about our sovereignty as nation which much blood has been spilled, a nation without borders is no longer a nation, a weak America is bad for this world. There is nothing virtuous about this situation at all. These poor kids are nothing but pawns used by this corrupt administration and the gangs shipping them in here for their own worldly purposes. We might as well open up the rest of the country for the poor people in the other continents too. My heart is broken for whats happening in my country and woe to the younger generations. America is slowly dying.

I guess you're just another one of them nasty racist, homophobic, intolerant, morbiphobic, gun totin', money grubbin', anti-Christian, God-hatin', Americanist, isolationist,  hillbilly bigots (like me!).  Grin Grin 

(08-07-2014, 12:48 PM)J Michael Wrote:

I guess you're just another one of them nasty racist, homophobic, intolerant, morbiphobic, gun totin', money grubbin', anti-Christian, God-hatin', Americanist, isolationist,  hillbilly bigots (like me!).  Grin Grin

I am indeed.  Sorry to rant but when I see children being used by the wolves it gets my blood boiling. I hate how they always use children.
(08-07-2014, 12:57 PM)John64 Wrote:
(08-07-2014, 12:48 PM)J Michael Wrote:

I am indeed.  Sorry to rant but when I see children being used by the wolves it gets my blood boiling. I hate how they always use children.

Yes, so do I.  And then when you object, there's something wrong with YOU, not with those using the children and those profiting from that down the line.  No apology necessary for your words--none!

Quote:Yes, so do I.  And then when you object, there's something wrong with YOU, not with those using the children and those profiting from that down the line.  No apology necessary for your words--none!

Thanks J Micheal.    I just fear something similar to 9/11 is going to happen and maybe on a larger scale, our guard is down once again
(08-07-2014, 04:45 PM)John64 Wrote:
Quote:Yes, so do I.  And then when you object, there's something wrong with YOU, not with those using the children and those profiting from that down the line.  No apology necessary for your words--none!

Thanks J Micheal.    I just fear something similar to 9/11 is going to happen and maybe on a larger scale, our guard is down once again

I'm afraid (not yet to the point of clinical paranoia, however  Grin ) that a lot of not very pleasant things are going to happen, indeed, some are in the process of happening now.  It wouldn't surprise me to see martial law declared before the end of the current administration.  I'm not predicting it, and I pray it will never occur here, but it just wouldn't surprise me.