Knights of Columbus
  I am a fairly new convert to the Church, so please forgive my ignorance.... but, I was wondering if from a traditional standpoint joining the Knights of Columbus would be a positive thing or no. Thx.
Mater Ecclesiae, a traditional personal parish in Berlin, NJ, has its own Knights of Columbus Council:  http://www.kofc12833.org/

They are very active, from what I've seen.  Too active, in fact.  :eyeroll:

I think it depends on where you are, though.  Our own Damooster was the head of his council and was quite conflicted about it.  You might want to shoot him a pm.  (He even had to flee to Vietnam to get away from them.  :P)
(08-18-2014, 02:03 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Mater Ecclesiae, a traditional personal parish in Berlin, NJ, has its own Knights of Columbus Council:  http://www.kofc12833.org/

I think it depends on where you are, though.  Our own Damooster was the head of his council and was quite conflicted about it.  You might want to shoot him a pm.  (He even had to flee to Vietnam to get away from them.  :P)

How are they too active? I am a member of a council in Florida and I feel they suffer from a lack of action.
(08-18-2014, 02:07 PM)PompousMaximus Wrote:
(08-18-2014, 02:03 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Mater Ecclesiae, a traditional personal parish in Berlin, NJ, has its own Knights of Columbus Council:  http://www.kofc12833.org/

How are they too active? I am a member of a council in Florida and I feel they suffer from a lack of action.

I'm referring to this sort of thing at the front of the church during the consecration:

[Image: IMG_1608-590x393.jpg]

I call it "the liturgical dancing of the right."  It's distracting and inappropriate.  Inappropriate because I don't want to see swords and salutes at the moment of consecration.  It's cheesy and detracts from prayer and the idea of sacrifice.
That seems a tad overboard and I would agree that that is indeed too active. That is the first time I have seen that.
KoC is a great way for men to be active in the community as a Catholic....Trad or not.

However be wary of the social meetings...they tend to simply be an excuse for people to drink.
In my Archdiocese the KoC are a group of elderly gentlemen who meet up and organize Bingo. That's the extent of their actions so far as I can tell (and I have gone so far as to ask them for information on what they do, how I can get involved etc.) As Clare has pointed out, it is very dependent on where you are. By the way, Clare, that little display of whatever they're trying to display is completely inappropriate and the parish Priest should have a word.
"Punishment is justice for the unjust." Saint Augustine of Hippo
I think it will depend on the parish the council is affiliated with.  A council is generally representative of the population from which it draws its membership.  A liberal modernistic parish will likely have liberal modernists making up their KofC council, and vice versa.

I have also heard of various arguments concerning the official stance of the Supreme KofC, which will affect all other councils regardless of individual membership. I remember seeing some Michael Voris videos on the topic.

My personal experience with the KofC was bittersweet.  I still pay dues and carry a membership card but I don't actively participate anymore.  The council I was in started doing weird stuff like helping Protestant groups with fundraising and including Victoria Secret baskets in their silint auctions.  I have not been back since.

Thank you for all the replies.....