Does anybody know of any EASTERN Catholic forums that are actually Catholic?
So far, so good: it seems I can talk to the Facebook group "Byzantine Catholic."
Nope. Orthodox converts and Orthodox wannabes.
(09-04-2014, 07:45 PM)Silouan Wrote: I will say I find it odd that people choose their religion based on the attitudes of the rather small number of adherents they commonly come in contact with instead of whether or not they believe that religion is true.  ???

I find that rather puzzling as well. And furthermore, if anti-westernism among Orthodox could put you lot off Orthodoxy, why doesn't the far more severe problem of anti-traditionalism among Roman Catholics put you off RC? I think there's a deeper reason, and this is a convenient surface-level one to tout.
(09-29-2014, 02:05 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(09-04-2014, 07:45 PM)Silouan Wrote: I will say I find it odd that people choose their religion based on the attitudes of the rather small number of adherents they commonly come in contact with instead of whether or not they believe that religion is true.  ???

I find that rather puzzling as well. And furthermore, if anti-westernism among Orthodox could put you lot off Orthodoxy, why doesn't the far more severe problem of anti-traditionalism among Roman Catholics put you off RC? I think there's a deeper reason, and this is a convenient surface-level one to tout.

I also was tempted to join the Easterners when I was converting (isn't this quite a common temptation among more traditional people?), and I can certainly say that there's much more than anti-Westernism that helped me decide for the Catholic Church, though this anti-Western attitude doesn't help either. Its not only unpleasant, but it goes so far as to warp the East's genuine theology -- like the filioque thing: its ultimately a problem of authority and not of theology: one can find reasonings in the Cappadocians that were quite the same as the reasonings of S. Augustine in de trinitate, and also, theologically, to deny it one denies the basis of all trinitarian theology: that the economic trinity is the immanent trinity.
(09-04-2014, 02:21 PM)J Michael Wrote: I have found this forum, this very traditional, Latin Catholic forum to be quite friendly to the Catholic (AND Orthodox) East.  If it weren't, I'd have left long ago.  Maybe you should ask Vox about starting an Eastern Catholic sub-forum here.

There once was an Eastern Catholic sub-forum here, until it was hijacked by anti-papal types. 

You can find the archives here:

http://www.fisheaters.com/forums/index.php?board=10.0
(09-29-2014, 02:50 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: like the filioque thing: its ultimately a problem of authority and not of theology: one can find reasonings in the Cappadocians that were quite the same as the reasonings of S. Augustine in de trinitate, and also, theologically, to deny it one denies the basis of all trinitarian theology: that the economic trinity is the immanent trinity.

Whew boy we probably shouldn't go there.  :LOL: