Fresh food for the single person?
(09-08-2014, 12:45 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: How do you buy anything, then?

Indeed I've heard some cities in the US one goes everywhere by cars only. Kinda weird.

I go in when my roommate (who does have a car) goes in and is ok with stopping by the grocery store.  (And before anyone asks, so far as I can tell he eats mostly frozen pizza and thinks veggies are gross.)

But yes, pretty much if you have to get anything here, you need a car.  There is a bus but it is not very frequent or direct.  To go to the store midweek by bus would take me maybe 5 hours.  An hour trip and then three hours until the next one leaves.
Plant a vegetable garden.  If necessary, join or start a community garden.
My wife has an eating disorder, so back when I used to eat food, I cooked for myself. 

I did a lot of batch cooking.  I made giant batches of food in the crock pot and froze it in smaller containers.  Lots of things like chile, vegetable soup, beef stew, brisket, chicken sausage and pepeprs, roasted chicken with vegetables, matzo ball soup, meatballs, etc

I used to make big batches of seasoned ground beef for tacos and I'd also do this chicken with green chiles thing in the slow cooker which was also good for tacos and burritos.  Everything got frozen in ziplock bags or small containers.

Try to do 2-3 large batches of food per week,a nd  if you keep doing this, you'll assemble an assortment of frozen meals so that you don't have to do tons of cooking every night.  You can roast a chicken for yourself one sunday, and use the meat in dinners all week too.... tacos, salads, stir fry, etc
(09-08-2014, 10:51 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: You can roast a chicken for yourself one sunday, and use the meat in dinners all week too

This is exactly what I do, Peter.

I roast a chicken every Sunday evening for dinner.  Lately, I've been preparing the chicken with an herbes de Provence rub.  Insanely delicious.

I eat one thigh for dinner and eat the rest of the chicken throughout the week, carving up the pieces and storing them together in a large, sealed glass container:  avocado chicken salad with one of the breasts for lunch on Monday; legs and wings for lunch on Tuesday; the other thigh Wednesday night; more avocado chicken salad with the other breast on Thursday; pieces of meat from the carcass and back with steamed zucchini and tomato sauce for lunch on Saturday.

It works out very well for me.
Here's my recipe for the herbes de Provence rub (for a 3-5 pound chicken):

1/4 cup herbes de Provence
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/2 tablespoon salt
2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
1/4 cup olive oil

Mix it together with your fingers and rub it all over the outside of the chicken.  Don't be stingy with it.  If any remains, rub it inside the chicken.
(09-08-2014, 10:51 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: My wife has an eating disorder, so back when I used to eat food, I cooked for myself. 
/
I did a lot of batch cooking.  I made giant batches of food in the crock pot and froze it in smaller containers.  Lots of things like chile, vegetable soup, beef stew, brisket, chicken sausage and pepeprs, roasted chicken with vegetables, matzo ball soup, meatballs, etc

I used to make big batches of seasoned ground beef for tacos and I'd also do this chicken with green chiles thing in the slow cooker which was also good for tacos and burritos.  Everything got frozen in ziplock bags or small containers.

Try to do 2-3 large batches of food per week,a nd  if you keep doing this, you'll assemble an assortment of frozen meals so that you don't have to do tons of cooking every night.  You can roast a chicken for yourself one sunday, and use the meat in dinners all week too.... tacos, salads, stir fry, etc

I'd need things that wouldn't take up lots of freezer space.  What we have is one of those little things that comes on top of a fridge, and I can use about half of that.  Of the containers I used to freeze soup in (I think they were about three servings per container) I could get I think 4 in.
(09-08-2014, 06:12 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Plant a vegetable garden.  If necessary, join or start a community garden.

Definitely a nice idea long-term, once I'm planning on staying in one place for a bit.

Here, it's probably not worth it to start one, certainly not right now.  First frost should be coming sometime this month.