Marriage of Couples Living in Sin
(09-15-2014, 01:48 PM)austenbosten Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 11:26 AM)Drover Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 07:45 AM)austenbosten Wrote: The problem with posting news articles from the Media, is that they will always portray Francis as some radical liberal "hippie" Pope.  :eyeroll:

It sounds to me that Francis instead of allowing these people to live in sin, was able to get them to confess their sins and join a Holy Vocation...sounds inspiring if you ask me.

Possible, but the article gives no indication of that.
It is likely thatt the people whjo wrote the article are not Catholic and know next to nothing about the Catholic Church. That is one of the reasons I tell the children to study their catechism. That way if someone asks "Who are the Catholics in the room?" They can raise their hand in confidence. Otherwise that person could say anything he wants and the un-catechized Catholic wouid not be able to answer him.l

Could be possibly because the same people writing this article, who believe that ordaining women priysts is okie dokie...would nothing about the Sacraments and canon law.

Seriously...is your heart and head that harden?
(09-15-2014, 07:46 PM)medievalman86 Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 07:45 AM)austenbosten Wrote: The problem with posting news articles from the Media, is that they will always portray Francis as some radical liberal "hippie" Pope.  :eyeroll:

It sounds to me that Francis instead of allowing these people to live in sin, was able to get them to confess their sins and join a Holy Vocation...sounds inspiring if you ask me.

let me ask you this- why would Yahoo have ANY desire to promote holiness, Catholicism (the faithful sort)?
God uses many means to promote His Word.
In another signal that Pope Francis’ Catholic Church is not your mother’s Catholic Church, the transformative pontiff married 20 couples at the Vatican on Sunday, some of whom had lived together and one who had a child out of wedlock.

Yes, you read that right. Couples who had lived together, couples who had sex before marriage, even one with a grown child were married in the Vatican by the pope himself.

All of those things remains a sin in the Catholic church. But the pope's message Sunday was not one of blame. In his homily before the exchange of vows, the pope stressed forgiveness for past sins.

"To spouses who 'have become impatient on the way' and who succumb to the dangerous temptation of discouragement, infidelity, weakness, abandonment," the pope said to the brides and grooms, "God the Father gives his Son Jesus, not to condemn them."

1. It's another signal that Pope Francis is changing the church to be more open and inclusive. Last July, Pope Francis suggested that that he would not judge priests for their sexual orientation. The pope has also said the church is too focused on issues such as abortion, contraception and divorce. In an interview last year, the pope warned that "the church sometimes has locked itself up in small things, in small-minded rules." The church's teaching "must be more simple, profound, radiant," he wrote. Sunday's wedding ceremony appears to be a practical application of that philosophy.

2. Being married by the pope is incredibly rare. Pope John Paul II was the last pope to publicly perform the rite of marriage, when he married eight couples in 2000. So rare is the event that one couple said that "when we discovered that it was happening, that it wasn't a dream -- well, it transformed us," The New York Times reported. The marriage of those, by the pope himself, who might have been shunned just a couple years ago, sends a powerful message not only to those couples but also to the rest of the world.

3. He wanted to stress the importance of marriage for all Catholics, whatever their situation. He also want to encourage local priests to follow his example and marry couples in similar situations. Pope Francis has long emphasized the importance of the family and marriage between a man and a woman and these topics will be discussed at a Vatican meeting of bishops later this year.

Marriage, the pope said, "is a symbol of life, real life: it is not fiction." It's also not fiction that the Catholic Church is changing -- and changing from the top down.

http://news.yahoo.com/pope-francis-marri...ories.html
"What a revolutionary act! This sort of thing has never been seen in the Church before. Pope Francis is really dismantling the xenophobic, misogynist, cis-het power structures of the Capitalist Vatican empire" :^)

Congratulations to the couples.
(09-16-2014, 12:40 AM)Poche Wrote: In another signal that Pope Francis’ Catholic Church is not your mother’s Catholic Church, the transformative pontiff married 20 couples at the Vatican on Sunday, some of whom had lived together and one who had a child out of wedlock.

Yes, you read that right. Couples who had lived together, couples who had sex before marriage, even one with a grown child were married in the Vatican by the pope himself.

All of those things remains a sin in the Catholic church. But the pope's message Sunday was not one of blame. In his homily before the exchange of vows, the pope stressed forgiveness for past sins.

"To spouses who 'have become impatient on the way' and who succumb to the dangerous temptation of discouragement, infidelity, weakness, abandonment," the pope said to the brides and grooms, "God the Father gives his Son Jesus, not to condemn them."

Sounds like the Holy Father is preaching forgiveness for sinners...Gee isn't that what the Bible teaches us? Forgiveness of the repentant sinner.

:eyeroll:
Glory be to the Father, and to the Son,
and to the Holy Spirit,
as it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be,
world without end. Amen.
(09-16-2014, 02:36 PM)Drover Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 05:16 AM)austenbosten Wrote:
(09-16-2014, 12:40 AM)Poche Wrote: In another signal that Pope Francis’ Catholic Church is not your mother’s Catholic Church, the transformative pontiff married 20 couples at the Vatican on Sunday, some of whom had lived together and one who had a child out of wedlock.

Sounds like the Holy Father is preaching forgiveness for sinners...Gee isn't that what the Bible teaches us? Forgiveness of the repentant sinner.

:eyeroll:

Plenty has all ready been written by other Catholics on why the problem they sense here isn't about the Forgiveness aspect.

If Practice is changed one iota at the Synod, we are going to see Priests bullied by their Bishops for the audacity of presenting the Faith on this topic.

This has nothing to do with the upcoming Synod. All the Pope did was make honest people of these sinners. Allowing them to continue living in their on-going sin would have been a scandal.

Gee whiz, some people will find anything to wail about Pope Francis.
Must be yet another slow news day for the secular, liberal media.
(09-16-2014, 12:39 AM)Poche Wrote:
(09-15-2014, 07:46 PM)medievalman86 Wrote:

let me ask you this- why would Yahoo have ANY desire to promote holiness, Catholicism (the faithful sort)?
God uses many means to promote His Word.

correct, but in this case, my conjecture is.

liberal media doesnt like truth (nor does conservative sometimes)
yahoo would probbably classify as liberal
therefore to me, the appropiate response to an article tittled "pope Okays homosexuality" would be to immediately assume that the Holy Father said NOTHING of the sort, and that the liberal media is attacking the faith.

so, when yahoo posts an article about Pope marrying fornicators, I would ASSUME that yahoo is going to leave out the whole part where the fornicators decided to "flea fornication, go to confession, and walk towards heaven as man and wife". because again, liberal would have no intrest in promoting ya know- holiness, one truth, etc etc