Elvis sings the Hail Mary

:)  I love Elvis. He truly was the king of Rock and Roll (the young Elvis was SO something else!), and he had the wisdom to recognize Who is the King of Kings. He was such a very, very nice person, too. I'm a fan, man. A big fan. God bless Elvis. I so pray he's in Heaven.

So sad that this Protestant seems to treat our Blessed Mother with more reverence than this modern-day "Catholyck" rap artist.

(09-16-2014, 04:54 AM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: :)  I love Elvis. He truly was the king of Rock and Roll (the young Elvis was SO something else!), and he had the wisdom to recognize Who is the King of Kings. He was such a very, very nice person, too. I'm a fan, man. A big fan. God bless Elvis. I so pray he's in Heaven.

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto.
I've always been interested in the religion of the early white rock-and-rollers. They were all Protestants of varying levels of religiosity, and they seemed to exhibit well what Flannery O'Connor wrote about the South in general:

Flannery OConnor, "Some Aspects of the Grotesque in Southern Fiction" (1960) Wrote:I think it is safe to say that while the South is hardly Christ-centered, it is most certainly Christ-haunted. The Southerner, who isn't convinced of it, is very much afraid that he may have been formed in the image and likeness of God.

So many of these guys got caught up in this new thing, rock and roll, and it got the better of most of them for a while. But their music is filled with religious themes and the folk Christianity of the South, and its music permeates even the secular music of that generation. Elvis and Johnny Cash, in different ways, really stand out in this regard to me. It's stunning the talent that passed through Sun Records in the 50s!

There are Sacred Heart statues in several places at Graceland; I'm not sure to what degree Elvis was formally connected to Catholicism, but it certainly seems like it exercised some pull on him. Here is a (not-great-quality) recording of him singing "Miracle of the Rosary":