Disturbing yet unsurprising. Cardinal Burke being removed.
Maldon,

I read a letter a while back from St. Catherine of Siena which said pretty much the same thing--sometimes the dead branches need to be pruned away first before the young, healthy shoots can come forth.

St. Bernard applied the prophecy of Isaiah to the Church: "in peace, is my bitterness most bitter."

"It was once predicted of the Church, and now the time of its fulfillment draws near: Behold, in peace is my bitterness most bitter (Is. 38:17). It was bitter at first in the persecution of the martyrs, more bitter in later times in the struggle with the great heresiarchs, but most bitter of all now in the evil lives of her members. She cannot drive them away, and she cannot flee from them, so strongly established are they, and so multiplied are they above measure. The plague of the Church is inward; it is incurable. It is that which makes its bitterness most bitter, even in the midst of peace. But in what peace! Peace it is, and yet it is not peace. There is peace with the world, but not from her own sons. At this time is heard the voice of her complaining: I have nourished and brought forth children, and they have rebelled against me (Is. 1:2). They have rebelled. They have dishonored me with their evil lives, by their many works which walk in darkness."

Peace for the Church often leads to complacency, which leads to decadence, and decadence to decay. It's not coincidental that, say, the corruption associated with Arianism was at its worst after the Edict of Milan. In many ways it is cyclical. The problems St. Bernard described, ultimately led to the Gregorian reforms of St. Gregory VII.  The decadence that led to the Reformation ultimately spurred on the counter-Reformation, etc., etc.

After World War II, the Church was on top of the world and was receiving more respect from the world that it had had in centuries. But in peace did its bitterness become most bitter.  Paradoxically, now that the world is turning more and more against the Church, and the Church is sinking pretty low, we may see the turnaround begin.  Where sin abounds, grace abounds all the more.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Disturbing yet unsurprising. Cardinal Burke being removed. - by SaintSebastian - 09-19-2014, 03:06 PM