Big Fan of Voris. Done with the "Lesé-majesté " policy
"I think your attacks on those who do choose to expose and discuss what is going on in Rome are a case of the pot calling the kettle black. How can you continue to rail against other media when you are guilty of the very same thing. "

Is anyone here, on this forum, unaware of the various disconcerting things said and done by Pope Francis?  I'm inclined to doubt it, for the simple reason that no one reads or participates in a forum like this who isn't already more aware of what's going on in the Church than the overwhelming majority of Catholics in the pews (not to mention those who are NOT in the pews!).  It's also highly unlikely that most viewers of CMTV are completely clueless about what's going on in the Church.  The problem, in the minds of those who want CMTV to engage in jihad against the Pope, is that, for some reason, they will feel better if CMTV is saying and doing what they are saying and doing.  Who needs CMTV, or The Remnant, or Catholic Family News, to tell them what they already know?  It sounds more likely that people want CMTV to affirm their anger, not inform them, and what's the point of that?

I'm not so naive as to think that everyone here will watch the five videos and listen to the four sermons to which I linked.  That would take too much time and, therefore, it's a lot easier to respond only to what was written rather than the totality of what is necessary to fully understand why we have chosen to adopt the policy that we have.  I also hope that no one here is so naive as to believe that, with all that CMTV does, we are either unaware or even less upset than you over these issues.  The issue is, really, whether or not it's a good idea to engage in a relentless attack on the Pope such that one risks either a) tempting people to leave the Church or b) reinforcing the decisions of those who have already left the Church.  It's really not a matter of "people need to know" because, for the most part, people already know!  They're just looking for others to say "Me too!"

The Pope is different.  His Office is different.  The Pope, not just his Office but his very person, is the "rock" on which the Church is founded.  He stands in the place of Our Lord Himself in governance of the Church.  It's CONSTITUTIVE of Roman Catholicism that one be in visible communion with the Pope AND submissive to his authority.  The schismatic Orthodox Church is very Catholic in its embrace of the Deposit of Faith, but that they are not in communion with the Pope is what makes them "not Catholic."  The Church has had an embarrassing number of Pope in Her history.  Communion with those Popes, submission to the authority of those Popes, did not mean "we must imitate the Pope in all things and be embarrassing like him."  Most here should be able to recognize that were it not for the promise of Our Lord, there's no way the Church could have survived the treachery and malfeasance of too many of Her Popes and Bishops. 

So, to attack the Pope, particularly in the way in which it is done today with all the means of communication at our disposal 24/7/365, is to do something historically unprecedented and that isn't sufficiently anticipated or addressed by those who have written on this issue in the past.  If Thomas Aquinas encourages people to confront their superiors, even in public if necessary, I question whether he would give blanket approval to what passes for public criticism today.  Those writers and publications today, who are almost indistinguishable from Protestants in their attacks on the Pope, are doing enormous harm to the Church in their support for one of the many forms of "independent Catholicism," i.e., Catholicism without visible communion with the Pope. 

Public criticism of the Pope, by which I mean an almost obsessive need to repeat and remind people of just how problematic is Pope Francis, undermines confidence in the papacy itself and, because "the Pope is different," undermines confidence in the Church Herself.  A state of mind is encouraged whereby one begins to believe and live as if communion with the Pope is something merely "nice to have" but not constitutive of one's identity as a Roman Catholic.  This process might be subtle but not, for all that, insignificant. 

One can almost discern a strategy worthy of the devil behind all this public criticism of the Pope:  the most committed, devout and faithful Catholics are tempted to flee the Church in the name of being faithfully Catholic!  These almost obsessive campaigns against Pope Francis (and, to be honest, his predecessors) seems to be so much "deja vu all over again" for those who support "independent Catholicism,  i.e., yet another justification and self-serving rationalization for fleeing the Church to some "safe haven" where they can live the Faith until the Church, somehow, comes to Her senses, and they can welcome Her back.  It's just "we'll be Catholic when the Church is again but, until then, we will loot Her writhing Body of Her riches and enjoy them while She suffers.  Call us when you want your stuff back and we'll help you rebuild."

We want no part of being an excuse for anyone to leave the Catholic Church.  Public criticism of the Pope not only risks this but encourages it.  Just as it is with Protestants, it is necessary for those who have already separated themselves from communion with the Catholic Church to reinforce and justify their decision and status.  Public criticism of the Pope is destructive in its consequences and we are unable to justify it.  We won't do it.  Not everything which is true needs to be shouted from the housetops.  I can't cite a single good fruit that can be associated with the relentless, non-stop hysteria about Pope Francis.  I don't consider any variant of "independent Catholicism" to be anything but well intentioned evil.

"Independent Catholicism" is like "no fault divorce" in the sense that once something is "thinkable" it can be chosen and done.  Before "no fault divorce," divorce was, for Catholics, "unthinkable" and, therefore, didn't happen as often as it does today.  Before "independent Catholicism" became available as an "option," problems in the Church were addressed and suffered from within (or people left the Catholic Church altogether for "none" or some variant of Protestantism).  Now we have the attractive "option," encouraged and reinforced by those most known for their relentless criticism of the Pope and the "conciliar Church," of "independent Catholicism" where one can "be Catholic without the Pope and all that goes along with the 'conciliar Church.'"  Public criticism of the Pope both enables and encourages the choice of this "option" which, since it is a "way of being Catholic" that is not in communion with the Church, isn't really Catholic at all but "feels like it" (see "theft of riches" analogy above"). "Independent Catholicism" NEEDS a Pope not worthy of obedience or submission, so it just makes sense to criticize him endlessly.  WE know that there are no life boats on the bark of Peter, so WE are not going to give people a reason to look for them.

And one last bit of psychobabble by analogy.  If any of us are members of families, and the head of that family is, shall we say, "dysfunctional," is it healthy for family members, on every and any occasion, to devote all their energies to discussion of "Papa's delicate condition"?  Is it healthy for various family members to separate themselves from the family and set up new families to protect themselves from "Papa's delicate condition"?  Yes, we have to be aware of "Papa's delicate condition" so that "Papa's delicate condition" doesn't wreck the family  - we mustn't follow the example of "Papa's delicate condition" - but, if we take seriously things like the 4th commandment, we must find a way to continue to show honor and respect for "Papa" and this end is not served either by endless gossip within the family or trashing of his person and condition in public.

The Pope is different.  Faithful Catholics know this.  If you take the time to listen to the sermons linked above, you will hear that, while it may make everyone nervous to see that the wheelhouse is occupied by drunken revelers, there's no point jumping off the ship into the sea.  Stay on board the ship, console each other during storms, reinforce what is true with each other, and trust in the Truth that "this ship can't sink no matter how much it looks like it will."

Messages In This Thread
Re: Big Fan of Voris. Done with the "Lesé-majesté " policy - by TerryCMTV - 09-21-2014, 07:59 PM