New Vatican Commision
Pope Francis has appointed a special commission to study a possible simplification of the process of obtaining marriage annulments.

The Vatican announced on September 22 that the Pope had asked the commission to “focus on the preparation of a proposal for the reform of the marriage annulment process, seeking to simplify and streamline the procedure, while safeguarding the principle of the indissoluble nature of marriage.”

The Vatican press office said that Pope Francis had made the decision to institute this special commission nearly a month ago. The announcement, however, came just two weeks before the opening of an extraordinary session of the Synod of Bishops. Questions about annulment and remarriage have dominated public discussions in the weeks leading up to the Synod meeting.

The special commission will be chaired by Msgr. Pio Vito Pinto, the dean of the tribunal of the Roman Rota. The bishops on the commission are Cardinal Francesco Coccopalmiero, the president of the Pontifical Council for Legislative Texts (which is the Vatican’s top body for canon-law issues); Archbishop Luis Francisco Ladario, the secretary of the Congregation for the Doctrine of the Faith (which handles doctrinal issues); and Bishop Dimitri Salachas of the Greek Byzantine Catholic Church. The remaining members of the commission are officials of Vatican canonical tribunals and experts on canon law.

The Vatican announcement indicated that the commission has been asked to begin its work as soon as possible.

http://www.catholicculture.org/news/head...ryid=22675
Forgive me, but this seems like a common tactic of the Novus Ordo mindset:

"We need to open the Church, we need to face the people in Mass, we need to update our worship...  while safeguarding the reverence of the holy sacrifice of the Mass."

"We need to make it easier to annul about 30 000 questionable marriages every year... while safeguarding the principle of the indissoluble nature of marriage."

etc.

On the other hand, I have no knowledge of canon law pertaining to matrimony, and I've never been on a marriage tribunal, so I can pretty much be quiet.  :blush:
None of this will work of course and the church will get smaller.
Salus, you hit the nail on the head. All of this is such a waste of time, energy, and emotions. In reality, people who have divorced and remarried and truly repent, will alter their lives to suit Christ and will not go up for Communion. And those who want to abuse a simplified annulment process, turning it into some sort of whitewashed divorce, are not going to stick around in the Church anyway. It will benefit some very very few. For the rest, it wil just be a faster way out of the Church.

All this wasted work and time and energy. So many better ways to spend it all!
When all these backwards-facing "ideas" have spent themselves, there will be, as Card. Ratzinger said, a smaller Church that has come through a purification process. That smaller Church will be wiser, and will have had to abandon all the rubbish.