Scola: Four Solutions for the Divorced and Remarried
(09-23-2014, 02:08 PM)Geremia Wrote: Since when?
I wonder what the canonical history of this question is.

(09-23-2014, 02:08 PM)Geremia Wrote:
(09-23-2014, 01:44 PM)SaintSebastian Wrote: The third one is not objectionable and has been, from what I understand, the usual advice for a long time, especially when there are children involved.
Since when?
I wonder what the canonical history of this question is.

That I'm not sure--I've just never heard of it any other way (which may just mean I'm ignorant!).  I don't know if there really would be any canon in that regard, since it's not really a situation that lends itself to "one-size-fits-all" solutions. Obviously living as brother and sister is not itself a sin, so whether it's ok or not would be highly circumstantial.

The risk of scandal, for one, is different in different situations.  If the community doesn't know of the first marriage, there is no scandal, for example. Also, I'm not sure how the risk of scandal is any different than if an annulment is granted.  It's not like the decrees of nullity are publicly proclaimed to the parish community.  In any case, charity should require any onlookers to not judge, but rather to presume continence or an annulment unless they know for a fact otherwise (even the creation of another child may just be a momentary slip that was repented for, rather than evidence of obstinate sin).

Those considerations would be weighed against other considerations, like the good of the children.  In the past especially, a separation would cause the woman and any children to be without support. That's my understanding anyway.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Scola: Four Solutions for the Divorced and Remarried - by SaintSebastian - 09-23-2014, 02:33 PM