Scola: Four Solutions for the Divorced and Remarried
PrairieMom Wrote:I guess it falls into that "I am Catholic but I don't want to follow  Church teachings so I'm going to change the Church" mentality that seems to be everywhere. I mean, you don't have to be Catholic, you could go be an Anglican and do most of the things you want to do and still get the frilly stuff everyone seems to want to keep.

But maybe there's something deep inside us that recognizes that the Church is right and true. We want to be reconciled with her, but refuse to change so we try to change her to fit us.

Yes, that sounds right. Also, many older cradle Catholics (50 and up) consider themselves Catholic no matter what. The Church is like a “family” that you don’t ever leave or disown. This is the religion they were born into – this is the religion they will die in. I know Catholics who still eat fish on Fridays but don’t follow any other rules. They are the typical cafeteria crowd. But they would never consider turning Anglican or Lutheran. I remember in my fallen away days there was no way I’d go to another church. I was content to be a fallen away Catholic. 

On the other hand, there is a new breed of Catholics born in the last 40 or so years I’d say, who would have no qualms about joining another church if they can’t get their way in the Catholic Church. OR they just don’t care what religion has to say…Period. I don’t know if you’ve seen the latest Pew Research statistics on marriage and annulments, how drastically they’ve gone down, down, down in the last 40 years. People aren’t seeking marriage in the Catholic Church as much as they used to, and if the marriage fails they aren’t going to bother seeking an annulment either.

I could be totally wrong, but for me this does not seem the right time for the Church to be digging in its heels and puffing out its chest. Doctrine might not be able to change, but all the rules and regulations on how to apply doctrine certainly can.

On the other hand again (I’m running out of hands! lol) I don’t know why the clergy are making such a big issue of divorced and remarried receiving Communion when a huge number of them obviously don’t care. They might receive at a relative’s wedding or funeral and feel insulted when the priest makes the announcement that “only practicing Catholics in a state of grace can approach the communion rail.” They get huffy and then forget about it until the next time they darken the doorway of a church, which is the next wedding or funeral.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Scola: Four Solutions for the Divorced and Remarried - by SCG - 09-26-2014, 10:04 AM