Re: Masons, Knights of Columbus and Vatican II
(09-24-2014, 02:31 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: When asked in 1983 if Catholics could be Freemasons, Pope Emeritus Benedict wrote “… the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.” This sounds clear enough, and I'm too young to remember 1983.  Even so, I have heard hundreds and hundreds of sermons from Catholic pulpits, I have attended more theology/apologetics lectures and catechesis sessions than I can count.  I have NOT ONCE heard Freemasonry or the Church's position on it mentioned by anyone I know in person.  This is from everyone- priest, seminarian, religious, theologian, lay catechist- everyone.  No matter how orthodox or reverent or traditional or anything they may be, everyone treats it as a non-issue.  No one will be cleaning up their act until they are told they need to.
It's not an issue for me unless someone asks or we are talking about prohibited groups. they fall under the category of evil gangs.

Messages In This Thread
Re: Masons, Knights of Columbus and Vatican II - by Poche - 09-24-2014, 02:41 AM