Re: Masons, Knights of Columbus and Vatican II
well they all did start as white male only organizations and most have some weird handshake or secret password or an invite only/sponsorship thing.

i guess that stuff is attractive to us guys. i dont know. seems hokey. but then the KofC have some eye rollers but im still going to join.
(09-24-2014, 07:31 AM)Philomena01 Wrote: I have problems with the Knights of Columbus.  Many years ago our pastor was talking to me about problems with the Knights that concerned him so much that he told them he was resigning his membership in them.  He was not a man to exaggerate or fly off the handle on things.  This article goes into detail on some of the problems with them.  How sad that a group like the Knights will tolerate this nonsense.

http://lesfemmes-thetruth.blogspot.com/2...alous.html

I have known many Knights who were and are holy men of God.  These men viewed the Knights as a fraternal organization that helps men become better, holier men and more effective evangelists of the world around them.  Unfortunately, I knew more who just saw it as a social club- a chance to smoke, drink, swear, tell dirty jokes, and have a place to hang out.  They were not interested in saving souls, and some things they did damaged others' efforts in that area.  The Knights of Columbus was a good idea, and they still have the potential to be a great organization, but not as they are in most cases now.  I'm sure there are good councils here and there (probably mostly at seminaries), but I'm sorry to say that this Fourth Degree Knight and past council officer has left the KofC very disappointed.
(09-24-2014, 03:02 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 02:41 AM)Poche Wrote:
(09-24-2014, 02:31 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: When asked in 1983 if Catholics could be Freemasons, Pope Emeritus Benedict wrote “… the Church’s negative judgment in regard to Masonic association remains unchanged since their principles have always been considered irreconcilable with the doctrine of the Church and therefore membership in them remains forbidden. The faithful who enroll in Masonic associations are in a state of grave sin and may not receive Holy Communion.” This sounds clear enough, and I'm too young to remember 1983.  Even so, I have heard hundreds and hundreds of sermons from Catholic pulpits, I have attended more theology/apologetics lectures and catechesis sessions than I can count.  I have NOT ONCE heard Freemasonry or the Church's position on it mentioned by anyone I know in person.  This is from everyone- priest, seminarian, religious, theologian, lay catechist- everyone.  No matter how orthodox or reverent or traditional or anything they may be, everyone treats it as a non-issue.  No one will be cleaning up their act until they are told they need to.
It's not an issue for me unless someone asks or we are talking about prohibited groups. they fall under the category of evil gangs.

Many people join these groups without even considering what the Church says about it.  It isn't a matter of morality to them.  To them, it's just a place for networking and brotherhood, and there's nothing wrong with either of those things.  It is also teaches religious indifferentism- that it doesn't really matter what you believe as long as you believe in God.  It's everywhere in the culture (even no belief in God is OK there), and many are fed the heresy of religious indifferentism at church as well, so they don't even think about it.  Well, they need to think about it, because Our Lord said " I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No man cometh to the Father, but by me," and it is essential that those God has called to preach and to teach the faithful make sure they know it.
The Knights of Columbus is still a Catholic organization. As a body they support the pope and the bishops in communioni with him. There may be individuals who may not be what they should be but you find that everywhere. You do not like to be judged based the craziest worst person in your community that can be found. Please don't do that with the Knights of Columbus.   
I'm a knight, and I can tell you that there is a very strict "No Freemason" rule.  Not only can you not join the freemasons and be a knight, but you can never have been a freemason. 

This means that if a man had been a freemason before converting to Catholicism, he still may not be admitted to the knights. 
(09-26-2014, 08:04 PM)Myname Wrote: I'm a knight, and I can tell you that there is a very strict "No Freemason" rule.  Not only can you not join the freemasons and be a knight, but you can never have been a freemason. 

This means that if a man had been a freemason before converting to Catholicism, he still may not be admitted to the knights.

i doubt thats true. thats what the sacrament of confession is for, to forgive us of sins. can you show documents that state this policy?
(09-26-2014, 08:34 PM)Zea mays Wrote:
(09-26-2014, 08:04 PM)Myname Wrote: I'm a knight, and I can tell you that there is a very strict "No Freemason" rule.  Not only can you not join the freemasons and be a knight, but you can never have been a freemason. 

i doubt thats true. thats what the sacrament of confession is for, to forgive us of sins. can you show documents that state this policy?

I think he's 100% correct. If not, they, the KofC, would be in conflict with the letter and spirit of the rules against Freemasonry in the Infallible Magisterium of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. It would appear that it needs to be better inforced. The disrepute that the Mason membership brings on a council is sadly most evident at our parish KofC social gatherings. Its always the same ones who get a little too tipsy and all.

As for the forgiveness of sins, try using that line of logic in a court of law. Ya, confess your sins and you are pardoned by God, but there still might be a hefty 'corporeal' societal debt to pay too! The 'Authorities' want their pound of flesh, God can have the rest of you.
(09-27-2014, 08:55 PM)Zedta Wrote:
(09-26-2014, 08:34 PM)Zea mays Wrote:

I think he's 100% correct. If not, they, the KofC, would be in conflict with the letter and spirit of the rules against Freemasonry in the Infallible Magisterium of the Holy Roman Catholic Church. It would appear that it needs to be better inforced. The disrepute that the Mason membership brings on a council is sadly most evident at our parish KofC social gatherings. Its always the same ones who get a little too tipsy and all.

As for the forgiveness of sins, try using that line of logic in a court of law. Ya, confess your sins and you are pardoned by God, but there still might be a hefty 'corporeal' societal debt to pay too! The 'Authorities' want their pound of flesh, God can have the rest of you.

and thats fine, if he can show the documents that he says exists that says "if you are an ex mason, then you can never be a knight" then ill believe his statement.