Synod on the Family
(10-07-2014, 10:56 AM)1seeker Wrote: St. Augustine wasn't eastern. St. Hilary wasn't eastern. St. Ambrose who denied communion to the Emperor wasn't eastern. Joking is good, but in the context of Orthodox claims to be the truest church it can be insulting and obnoxious.

Ok but if that's ALL you are saying then we're back to square 1. We haven't moved even a little, because from the outset it was agreed upon that it is not the default view of the West, and is the long-standing view of the East.

The difference arises from your initial claim that prior to 1054 divorce&remarriage WAS more or less the default view in the West, so that when Kasper made his proposal he was returning us to our original belief. You painted divorce&remarriage as nearly an apostolic doctrine, which was preserved in the East, and originally practiced by the 'less-altered' West. Then after 1054 the West took a sharp turn departing in several key places, but Kasper is just returning us to the default opinion of the Original Church. Maybe now you'll see why your words elicited so much ire.

I never said that was the default view in the west, but it was the default position in what numerically constituted the majority of the Catholic Church. Remember even at the time of the schism the eastern patriarchates were more populous than the west. Certainly at the time of Trullo that was more pronounced. And even given that fact you don't find any widespread condemnations or excommunications from any popes. People can read into that anything they want to. Either way apparently enough people find my opinions obnoxious and annoying to pretty much take over the entire thread so I'm gonna bow out and let yall have it. If anyone has any questions I'll be happy to answer as best I can.

(10-07-2014, 11:06 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 10:56 AM)1seeker Wrote:
(10-07-2014, 10:08 AM)Silouan Wrote: Well I try to never be confrontational. Although I'm certainly not perfect I try to respect the purpose of this forum. I was just remarking in a light hearted way on what Renatus posted, namely "So basically a bunch of Eastern bishops got together..." by saying all of the seven ecumenical councils were made up of mostly eastern bishops, some exclusively so. I wasn't try to make or imply any significance out of it, I was just teasing a little. That's why I put the big smiley face at the end.  :)

St. Augustine wasn't eastern. St. Hilary wasn't eastern. St. Ambrose who denied communion to the Emperor wasn't eastern. Joking is good, but in the context of Orthodox claims to be the truest church it can be insulting and obnoxious.

Let us also not forget that a bunch of Councils were done precisely to condemn some heresy coming from the East (you guys even killed S. Maximus because your emperor was trying to call the shots in the Church; of course, to put order in the house all was needed was some holy sanity coming from a few papal legates from the Holy See).

Not just easterners and their heresies were condemned....  I can think of two  prominent western primates who were excommunicated for heresy.... But that's for another conversation.