Should I confront my teacher?
(10-16-2014, 01:11 AM)Crusading Philologist Wrote: Anyway, your professor seems like a nice guy, and I think he has a point about trying to understand the intricacies and complexities of past societies in their own context rather than simply trying to defend them from any criticism or offering simple moral judgments. Certainly, medieval Christendom, while really admirable in many ways and unfairly maligned, was, like all societies, flawed and imperfect, and we should investigate and think about criticisms of it rather than immediately setting out to prove them false. From a practical standpoint, I think you'll be more likely to persuade your professor if you demonstrate that you are willing to consider criticism.

Indeed. I thought his answer was quite reasonable.

(10-16-2014, 01:23 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote: by the way, one might as well notice as a trivia that the Douay-Rheims predates the King James, so, there you have it

True, but it certainly wasn't the first translation, and in fact was a response to the earlier translations of Tyndale, the Coverdale Bible, the Geneva Bible, etc. The Douay-Rheims comes half a century after these. Much of the KJB is actually Tyndale's (who was executed by the Church, as were many Lollards, and others involved in the translation of the Bible, like Cranmer).
(10-16-2014, 05:03 PM)ecclesiastes Wrote: True, but it certainly wasn't the first translation, and in fact was a response to the earlier translations of Tyndale, the Coverdale Bible, the Geneva Bible, etc. The Douay-Rheims comes half a century after these. Much of the KJB is actually Tyndale's (who was executed by the Church, as were many Lollards, and others involved in the translation of the Bible, like Cranmer).

That wasn't really very important to the argument. But it does prove that the fear of Catholics of having translations is kinda overblown.
But regardless, the Vulgate is a pretty early translation.
I think it's unrealistic to assume that the Church had a vested interest in suppressing knowledge of the Bible in a period where most people were illiterate in their own language simply because books were so hard to produce and distribute anyway.
It took me a while but I have send my professor the newest message at the request of a close friend. I addressed some of his objections as best as I could

It is in a Word document because it is 16 pages long.

Attached Files
.docx   refutingsomeobjections.docx (Size: 39.49 KB / Downloads: 5)