Getting Clean
Long story short is I've been an on and off addict for most of my adult life but getting tired of being on this junkie roller coaster.  Right now I'm using kratom to help me lessen my opiate use and will eventually jump off the kratom too. I've already  detoxes off kratom before so it's doable and better than opiate withdrawl which is why I'm going this route. No cold turkey for me its brutal.  I need lots of grace, lots of willpower and lots of prayers to be free of this, it's just wearing me out physically, mentally and yes, spiritually. I haven't gone more than a week without some sort of chemical high for years, I'm kind of wanting to know what it's like to be free, to not be a slave to a substance. I guess I want to be free by Christmas, kind of a Christmas gift to myself-- sobriety and clear headedness instead of a sedated haze all the time.
I do hope you'll be able to pull this off, with the grace of our Lord and prayers of our blessed mother.

I'll keep you in my prayers. :pray:
(10-14-2014, 01:18 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Long story short is I've been an on and off addict for most of my adult life but getting tired of being on this junkie roller coaster.  Right now I'm using kratom to help me lessen my opiate use and will eventually jump off the kratom too. I've already  detoxes off kratom before so it's doable and better than opiate withdrawl which is why I'm going this route. No cold turkey for me its brutal.  I need lots of grace, lots of willpower and lots of prayers to be free of this, it's just wearing me out physically, mentally and yes, spiritually. I haven't gone more than a week without some sort of chemical high for years, I'm kind of wanting to know what it's like to be free, to not be a slave to a substance. I guess I want to be free by Christmas, kind of a Christmas gift to myself-- sobriety and clear headedness instead of a sedated haze all the time.

When you said that you wonder what it would be like to be free, I pictured the demoniac who was wondering near the tombs. Is that kind of how you feel? Trapped?  I will ask Our Most Holy Mother who wants nothing but you safe at Her feet, She loves you so very much! Know that you and your efforts will be in my prayers.

When you said
I will offer my prayers

:pray: :pray2: :pray:
Brother, if I might offer a kind suggestion, you may want to read up on Matt Talbot, an Irish dock worker who gave up drink and became a lay ascetic after being an alcoholic for over a decade. He died in 1925. I find him quite inspiring; you might too.
:pray2:
:pray:
I'm praying for you. I know what it is like, for real. Always remember to go to Mary, who is the refuge of sinners and comforter of the afflicted.

:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
:pray2: :pray: :pray2: