Annulment question
Not sure if this is the right place or not. If not please forgive.

I wanted to get an annulment so I could remarried. My marriage was before I was a christian. I had not way to get in contact with my ex wife, I could say for certain if she was baptized. I was ready to get remarried and wanted to follow the book on it. So i went to my priest( a sspx priest) about the annulment. He drafted the papers, but told me that there is a good chance that the marriage could not get annulled. This kinda left me and fiance shell shocked. A marriage from before I become christian was not good enough for annulment. We did not know what to do. We only had another local traditional parish that I tried to get a hold of by phone and email ,but never heard back. We did not know what to do. So we did what was the wrong thing to do which was leave the church and get married any ways.
So we did. We have been very unhappy with that choice. So I went back to service today and talked to Father about getting the ball in motion.

So my question what are the chances that marriage will not get annulled. I was hoping maybe some one can give us insight? Me and my wife want to be a Catholic family, raise catholic children. At the same time we might get held back by choices I made before I was christian. I just do not understand and it seems harsh, unfair. I know I am supposed to submit to the authority of the church. Any insight would be helpful.
Pray for me
I am sure everyone here will pray for you!

Your intention is noble and your situation painful, though recognise that the SSPX priest has a valid point.  Marriage predates Christianity as an institution, so the validity of the marriage is not directly contingent upon the baptismal status of the parties.  Therefore it, like all witnessed marriages, is presumed valid until reason is given to believe otherwise.  At the same time, I am sure you shared many more details with the SSPX priest than you have with us, leaving him in a much better position to make such a comment than we are.

There is nothing in what you told us from which we can infer anything, nor would we even prudently attempt to do so.  However, what you might do is prayerfully reflect upon the conditions necessary for a valid marriage, both on your own and with a priest.  Here is a list of reasons for which a marriage might not be valid, which you might look over: http://www.stmarys-waco.org/documents/Gr...Church.pdf

I hope this is of some help!
If you were not baptized when you were married, you might be a candidate for the "Petrine Privilege".  Because this procedure is reserved to the Pope, you will have to consult with the priest at an official parish.
The SSPX doesn't have faculties to officiate at weddings. If you want your marriage to be annulled and you want that annulment to be recognized by the Catholic Church you really need to consult with someone who has more competance. Which code of Canon Law was he refering to when he took the information? Who is going to grant the annulment? If you want this done properly and you want the Catholic Church to recognize the validity/invalitity of your previous marriage this is the book of fules that you will have to refer to.

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/_INDEX.HTM
Only the marriage tribunal can say whether or not your previous marriage will be annulled. The priest can offer his opinion, but it's not up to him.

If I were in your shoes I would try for the annulment if you sincerely believe you have grounds. It's the only thing you can do at this point to "fix" your situation.

I'm curious to know which jurisdiction you would fall under if it's the SSPX that is preparing your documentation? Would it be the just for the diocese where you normally reside?

Alternatively, you can approach the tribunal directly. That's what I did, as I was not yet a practicing Catholic when I originally completed my petition for annulment, although I was attached to a parish and practicing again by the end about 20 months later. I never dealt with a local priest in the matter, only the tribunal and their representatives.
(10-20-2014, 01:15 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: Only the marriage tribunal can say whether or not your previous marriage will be annulled. The priest can offer his opinion, but it's not up to him.

If I were in your shoes I would try for the annulment if you sincerely believe you have grounds. It's the only thing you can do at this point to "fix" your situation.

I'm curious to know which jurisdiction you would fall under if it's the SSPX that is preparing your documentation? Would it be the just for the diocese where you normally reside?

Alternatively, you can approach the tribunal directly. That's what I did, as I was not yet a practicing Catholic when I originally completed my petition for annulment, although I was attached to a parish and practicing again by the end about 20 months later. I never dealt with a local priest in the matter, only the tribunal and their representatives.
I never thought of that i will call the tribunal for my arch diocese tomorrow.
Thanks pm