Charismatic Catholic
I met a person who defined themselves as "Catholic" but referred to their Church as "Charismatic Catholic." Although they identified themselves as "Catholic" their communion did not come from the Pope. Are they actually Catholic?
What exactly do you mean when you say they their communion did not come from the pope? Just trying to understand the question.
The person I spoke with said, "we do not acknowledge the Pope" so it threw me off. Does Catholic only apply to affiliations with the Roman Catholic Church or no? It's quite confusing, but the movement does exist.
(10-30-2014, 09:19 AM)Catholic82 Wrote: The person I spoke with said, "we do not acknowledge the Pope" so it threw me off. Does Catholic only apply to affiliations with the Roman Catholic Church or no? It's quite confusing, but the movement does exist.

They are definitely not Catholic - they are schismatics and possibly heretics.

Schism is what happens when a group of people sharing the Catholic faith reject the authority of the Roman Pontiff.

Heresy is what happens when a group of people who were Catholic begin to deny some truth of the Catholic faith.

In both cases, the group ceases to be truly Catholic in the fundamental sense of the term.
While the church of Vac ii.  approves of  '' this type of nonsense" The real chuch  looks in distain.
Its fashionable now for some Protestants to claim Catholicity, which is understandable, I guess: they feel the alienation that Protestantism is. But still its all very artificial, still all they claim as heirs are subjected to their own will; still they are bastards and can never really agree with anything historical, just with bits and pieces taken out of context.
(10-30-2014, 08:35 AM)Catholic82 Wrote: I met a person who defined themselves as "Catholic" but referred to their Church as "Charismatic Catholic." Although they identified themselves as "Catholic" their communion did not come from the Pope. Are they actually Catholic?

There are Charismatic Catholic groups that are in communion with the Holy Father.  I'm not so convinced on the authenticity of some of the "charismatic" parts of it, and I shudder to think of what some of their liturgies must be like, but they aren't the same as this group.  I would not call this group Catholic.

The Holy Spirit is real, and I definitely believe in mystics, but I'm not sure that every supposed manifestation of the Holy Spirit is an authentic mystical experience so much as a group's emotions getting the better of them.  When it is real, surely it would be operating in communion with the Church.