Laid off again
I was laid off Monday, for the second time this year and the third in my life. This time it wasn't announced to a group so it was just like being fired. Never been bum's rushed out of an office before (being followed to the door). Afterwards I asked a contact in the company, who told me yes, there was a purge of the department ("the company didn't meet its sales goals"); it wasn't just me.

Prayers and leads appreciated.
:pray: :pray: :pray:
Prayers.

Given your vocation as a writer, have you looked into editing-from-home sites such as elance? Jobs from these sites may provide only a pittance, but...

Here is one link: https://www.elance.com/r/jobs/cat-writin...ding-10206

PS. Given what I have read from your blog, if I had the money, I would hire you as my professional drinking partner.
Thanks. Oh, yes. I got started in my new career 2½ years ago on an elance competitor called oDesk, and my old job two companies ago sourced out its Web-content writing to elance. There are LOTS of listings for Web-content writing on elance, SOME of which pay well. Spent most of last night applying to them! My first oDesk job was only proofreading and I made $3,400 in 12 days, then was nastily fired when they ran out of work. That boom is over since companies now use these services to outsource to India. Of course I'd love to work only from home doing that; no more commute (mine have been 45 minutes to an hour) or cubicle.
:pray:
(11-05-2014, 03:24 AM)youngfogey Wrote: I was laid off Monday, for the second time this year and the third in my life. This time it wasn't announced to a group so it was just like being fired. Never been bum's rushed out of an office before (being followed to the door). Afterwards I asked a contact in the company, who told me yes, there was a purge of the department ("the company didn't meet its sales goals"); it wasn't just me.

Prayers and leads appreciated.
Lord, have mercy.

What are your professional qualifications?
I'm an online ad copywriter (two years) after 18 years in newspapers (feature writing, proofreading, page-making with the computer, digital video for the Web, and editing). Give me a business owner's name and his line of work, and I'll come up with 1,000+ SEO-friendly words to make an online brand identity, a personality, a voice for that person that will drive customers to him. "Look for the hook (what's in it for this person's customers?) and create a character." I've written content for over 1,500 commercial websites for small businesses of all kinds all over the country and one overseas (Belgium — worked via Skype), including in Spanish, and have trained new writers.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray:
Thanks, everybody. Update: my temp agency says my best lead, the well-paying company that laid me off earlier this year and is rehiring, won't get started on that for another month so hang in there. In the meantime, if you are so moved, there's a PayPal donation button on my blog, linked in my signature.
:pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: :pray: