Burke Warns of Schism
(11-09-2014, 09:38 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
(11-09-2014, 07:00 PM)DJR Wrote:
Vox Clamantis Wrote: Warning that this battle will continue, he called on Catholics to “speak up and act.”

Catholics have been "speaking up" and "acting" for decades.  As a result, some of them have been declared excommunicated, as recent activity from some of our more merciful shepherds demonstrates.

Exactly what "acts" by the laity are contemplated here?

I think we have to reach a critical mass (no pun intended) and be a lot more vociferous in terms of tradverting, writing to Bishops, withholding support of goofy parishes and being LOUD about it, etc. The lefties make their voices heard with rallies and conferences and press releases and all sorts of things most of us trads just totally ignore when it comes to using those sorts of tools. If the people in the pews stop supporting the crap, if they refuse to put up with unorthodoxy, if they FIGHT for orthodoxy, the crap will stop. It will have to because the human institution of the Church doesn't run on air; it runs on money and warm bodies.

Maybe one thing we need is a trad wiki for parish reviews. Seriously. People could go to it and rate priests on orthodoxy, "reverence" of the NO if that's what they offer, openness to the TLM, etc., adding audio of sermons, youtube videos of any lunacy, etc. And then get the word out about the wiki, send it to Bishops, send it to the people in charge in Rome, etc.

How about seeking out cornball parishes and showing up to pray the Rosary outside on public property as people exit from Mass?  The demonstrators could hold signs which say things like "bring back sacredness to the Church" or stuff like that.
(11-09-2014, 11:01 PM)dark lancer Wrote: How about seeking out cornball parishes and showing up to pray the Rosary outside on public property as people exit from Mass?  The demonstrators could hold signs which say things like "bring back sacredness to the Church" or stuff like that.

I like it! I like anything that is respectful, charitable, moral, and effective in this regard. I so wish I were a leader type who could rally people. If anyone out there is, I have the web presence for you; let's get stuff done!

(11-09-2014, 07:39 PM)Papist Wrote: We just all need to go Byzantine Catholic.

No way.  I love the Roman liturgy with all my heart (even though it seems many in the Latin Rite hate it).  I love the theological tradition (St. Thomas Aquinas, etc.).  I love the devotions (the Rosary, Forty Hours, Benediction, etc.).  I love the cultural traditions.  I love the celibate priesthood.  I could never part with those things- for any reason.  I'm a dyed-in-the-wool ROMAN Catholic, and could never think of being anything else.
When everything looked so good on the outside, there must have been something really sick happening on the inside.  I know Catholics who got pretty progressive in the 1970's, yet they knew and loved their faith- or at least seemed to- when they were in grade school in the early 60's.  40 hours devotions, adoration, benediction, nuns in full habits, reverence as the rule rather than the exception, communion only on the tongue, communion rails, communion rail cloths, tabernacle and chalice veils, bells, incense, statues, sacred music (which was, often times, even played in secular, popular settings).  They had all that and loved every bit of it.  I've read quite a bit from people who experienced those things.  They loved them when they had them, yet they don't seem to mind that it's not like that now. 

I've played music for church at Novus Ordo Masses.  I absolutely will not play anything but traditional hymns, and I especially like playing the ones that have been virtually banished since the early 60's.  The people like it too.  People have thanked me for playing those hymns, and I've had people over 70 told me that they haven't heard them since they were in grade school (so the 1950's or earlier).  They loved them then, and they love them now.  They were told over and over again "the priest had his back to you," "you were forced to kneel before the priest," "women had to cover their heads," "you couldn't understand it," and other half-truths that they sort of remember and become angry about it when someone tells them they were being oppressed while they do things to meet their emotional needs in order to win their trust and enthusiasm for their cause.  Many of the people who told them these things bought into the sexual revolution and 1960's-era feminism.  Unrepentant sin leads us to have contempt for the things of God.  When one has offended Him and intends to keep doing, they are angry because they enjoy their sins yet are ashamed when they are reminded that they have greatly offended the God of mercy and love (which they DID know and love as a child).
(11-09-2014, 04:19 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Lines are being drawn, there's no doubt! These are bad times. We must pray.
The lines are becoming more pronounced , esp. with this pope.  Wonder if we can vote +Benedict back in ?  :)

(11-10-2014, 05:09 PM)thomas7 Wrote:
(11-09-2014, 04:19 PM)Jacafamala Wrote: Lines are being drawn, there's no doubt! These are bad times. We must pray.
The lines are becoming more pronounced , esp. with this pope.  Wonder if we can vote +Benedict back in ?  :)

well, it is OUR church aint it?  we can vote on dogma so why not? :P  :X /hides