So we sang "A Mighty Fortress" at church yesterday
Yep.

I think our organist is a troll.
Not too long ago I was checking out a gift shop at a local parish when I heard the Introit, et, I mean "entrance song" Pure Imagination from Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory. I almost expected Gene Wilder to be the priest in purple vestments proceeding down the isle towards the butcher block table while being trailed by cartwheeling Oompa Loompas.
I'm sorry that really made me laugh.
(11-10-2014, 04:20 PM)Silouan Wrote: I'm sorry that really made me laugh.

Yes, it was very funny!  But only because it's so incredibly sad that such a thing *could* happen in the Latin Rite and people would be okay with it.  I used to think (read: want to believe) that the notorious "clown Masses" were but a fiction.  Not any more.  When Protestants were enlisted to help formulate the "new" liturgy, i.e. the Novus Ordo Mass, it was kind of like opening the door to Old Scratch.  Guess what?  If he's invited, he'll certainly come on in! 
Why in the world is it even in our hymnal?  There's a bunch of Protestant hymns in there, too.  Anyone with a vague knowledge of Protestant history can look at the bottom of the page for a hymn and recognize the name Wesley.

I can't think of the name of the hymnal, but my parish's previous priest bought them to replace the ratty hymnals that we had--and he had the foresight to buy hymnals which include the rubrics for the translation of the NO Mass which was replaced in 2011 with the current translation.  That's fine, I suppose, since we use "Celebrating the Eucharist" anyway.
A couple years ago we sang (I didn't) A Mighty Fortress and it was at the time of Reformation Day.  I was a bit confused.  Why choose that song?  I ask "why" a lot these days. ???
I know some people who had "day by day" from Godspell sung at their mom's funeral.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
This might sound crazy, but in some parishes I kinda wished they played some good Protestant songs instead of the sort of thing they sang (which was obviously not Catholic anyway, except for one mention of Mary here or there).
Something like this, perhaps

I heard "A Mighty Fortress" many times in Catholic churches going back to the seventies I guess. I didn't even know it was Lutheran until the eighties.

C.
(11-10-2014, 09:05 PM)Cetil Wrote: I heard "A Mighty Fortress" many times in Catholic churches going back to the seventies I guess. I didn't even know it was Lutheran until the eighties. C.

The all-time number 1 "hymn" in the U.S. immediately after the council was... Kumbaya.