So we sang "A Mighty Fortress" at church yesterday
That particular hymn is not just any Protestant hymn- it was the battle hymn of the Protestant Reformation and has absolutely no place in a Catholic Church.

All the hymns in this video are wonderful (I could do without the sappy, 1950's-ish style- but that aside, the hymns are great), but I think the hymn at 7:06, especially the part from 8:24 on, is especially beautiful!  What's especially nice is that many of these are EEEEEEEEEEEASY to play on the organ- so there's no excuse not to use them once in awhile.  I recommend listening to this video when you've had a bad musical experience at Mass.

(11-13-2014, 11:55 AM)Silouan Wrote: I'm very familiar with both. After seeing the video I understand. I didn't know what was being talked about because that procession before the liturgy in the video doesn't occur in Orthodox practice. It looks like the beginning of a Latin Mass so I assume that's where they got the practice from.

Orthodox bishops don't process in like the Catholic bishop in the video?  Don't the Orthodox sing "You have entered"?

I have a DVD of several Russian Orthodox liturgies, and they're processing into the church just like the video in the wine cellar that was posted and just like the above Youtube presentation.

Why would incensing the church not be considered part of the liturgy? 

The priest doesn't incense the church just for the heck of it and then afterwards go back to the sacristy and tell everyone to go home.  He incenses the church because he's beginning the liturgy.  The fact that the doors aren't opened yet, and the beginning words aren't sung, doesn't mean the liturgy hasn't begun.  It begins when Father begins incensing.  That's when we start singing.

I have cousins who are Orthodox (my cousin married a man of Russian descent), and they do the exact same thing we do regarding processing into the church.

The reason there is a procession in the link posted above is because, A, there's a bishop involved, and, B, it's apparently a wine cellar.
(11-13-2014, 09:48 PM)DJR Wrote:
(11-13-2014, 11:55 AM)Silouan Wrote: I'm very familiar with both. After seeing the video I understand. I didn't know what was being talked about because that procession before the liturgy in the video doesn't occur in Orthodox practice. It looks like the beginning of a Latin Mass so I assume that's where they got the practice from.

Orthodox bishops don't process in like the Catholic bishop in the video?  Don't the Orthodox sing "You have entered"?

I have a DVD of several Russian Orthodox liturgies, and they're processing into the church just like the video in the wine cellar that was posted and just like the above Youtube presentation.

The priest doesn't incense the church just for the heck of it and then afterwards go back to the sacristy and tell everyone to go home.  He incenses the church because he's beginning the liturgy.  The fact that the doors aren't opened yet, and the beginning words aren't sung, doesn't mean the liturgy hasn't begun.  It begins when Father begins incensing.  That's when we start singing.

I have cousins who are Orthodox (my cousin married a man of Russian descent), and they do the exact same thing we do regarding processing into the church.

The reason there is a procession in the link posted above is because, A, there's a bishop involved, and, B, it's apparently a wine cellar.

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be argumentative. The video you posted was not a bishop, it was an archpriest or an archimandrite. And yes the bishop does enter the church but they do not process directly to the altar. If you will notice the Patriarch in the video you post is not vested. The bishop is vested in the church and then enters through the Royal Doors. You can see that in this video.

And the first censing during the actual liturgy is during the Trisagion.
(11-13-2014, 10:46 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(11-13-2014, 09:48 PM)DJR Wrote:

I'm sorry I'm not trying to be argumentative. The video you posted was not a bishop, it was an archpriest or an archimandrite. And yes the bishop does enter the church but they do not process directly to the altar. If you will notice the Patriarch in the video you post is not vested. The bishop is vested in the church and then enters through the Royal Doors. You can see that in this video.

And the first censing during the actual liturgy is during the Trisagion.

Our bishop visited our parish last spring and processed in the same manner as the Napa Valley video, directly to the altar (although you're right, that wasn't a bishop.  I didn't pay it that much attention.)  I've never seen it done differently.  The Russian Orthodox DVD I have is also the same.

I take it you're not originally Orthodox?
(11-14-2014, 01:11 AM)DJR Wrote: Our bishop visited our parish last spring and processed in the same manner as the Napa Valley video, directly to the altar (although you're right, that wasn't a bishop.  I didn't pay it that much attention.)  I've never seen it done differently.  The Russian Orthodox DVD I have is also the same.

I take it you're not originally Orthodox?

Depends on how you define "originally."  :)
Maybe the video you have is from a feast day or other event? Often times on feast days or visitations of icons there will be processions with banners that start outside and process into the church.
Don't hide your love under a bushel, Mary
Don't hide your love on a shelf, Ralph
Just try to remember what Jesus said
Love your neighbor as yourself

:bonfire: