Popes

After the first pope Peter was martyred why were not some of the apostles made popes?  Were they too by that time all martyred?  John being the last apostle to survive why was he not made a pope?  Was it because he was a prisoner?

These are a few questions that I have been asked by my JW friend and I don't know what the answer is.  Thanks for the help
The papacy is one with the office of the bishop of Rome.  Early on, continuity was maintained by choosing a new bishop from the same local Church when the other died.  Later imperial politics changed this a bit, with Popes coming from all over, but the longerstanding custom of the Pope coming from the college of cardinals is a return to this (the Cardinals represent the Roman clergy--even those with Sees outside Rome given the honor of cardinal are given their own churches in Rome).

Linus was likely associated with the Church of Rome, whereas the other Apostles were working elsewhere.

This actually proves the great authority of the papacy.  In the letter of St. Clement I, we see him acting with great authority outside Rome even though St. John was likely still alive.

The Apostles were spread out all over. See this from the "Lists" page on the FE site:  http://www.fisheaters.com/lists.html#12apostles

Thank you both