What If Pope Francis’ Translators Translated Other Stuff In History?
Neopelagianus Wrote:Alternate Title: The Most Neo-Catholic Article That I Have Read In My Life

Pope Francis is one of the most mistranslated people in the history of the world.

Rarely is he the victim of minor and unimportant details. It is not simply that the translators could have chosen a slightly better word than the one they used; in many cases, the problem goes well beyond that.

His “translators” sometimes change the entire meaning of what Pope Francis actually said.

These “translations” (and I put that word in quotes for obvious reasons) are beyond bad. They are beyond embarrassing. In fact, some are actually hoaxes, yet they are quoted and re-tweeted anyway.

Especially when you consider the simultaneous underreporting of his more traditional statements, it raises the question of whether there is a deliberate intent behind many of these mistranslations. In fact, in many cases, the translations seem not to be what he said, but instead, are what non-Catholic media outlets seem to wish he said.

This got me thinking: what if the media “translators” of Pope Francis were hired to translate other famous quotations in history?

I think we could expect the following.

Read more at http://www.setonmagazine.com/latest-arti...25zvHc6.99

Neopelagianus...again Wrote:Probably a satire, no?
The capacity for self deception in the Catholic Church is staggering. The scriptures warn us about it; that many people would be deceived because they didn't persevere in love of truth. I'm so tired of Catholics blaming the media or the translations. Confront reality!
Unfortunately the cult of the person occupying the papacy has grown so strong among Catholics that it's impossible to imagine anyone stepping up to a hypothetical heretic-pope. Vatican I may have stated true dogma with regards to the papacy, but the "Spirit of Vatican I" seems to have engendered a sick puppy-love of very decision and word made by the Holy Father - especially in the age of mass media.

How blessed we were when the stupid statements of any pope could be kept hidden! There was a whole bureaucracy dedicated to stopping ill-considered idiocy from getting out to the world press! Only the official and authoritative stuff got out back then, because there were no ipads or phones ready to record every fervorino and each papal sneeze.

The Press is usually an instrument of Satan in the West: adversarial, disruptive of unity, and schismatic in the broad sense. Even if it reports bad things accurately, it delights in spreading them around like the thickest effluence of Hell's worst Ward for the Urinarily Incontinent.
Self deception indeed! The depths Catholics have gone to downplay, justify or excuse the stupidity, heresy and apostasy of many churchmen is just staggering. John Paul kissed a koran and he knew exactly what he was kissing and why, the same way Benedict XVI really did say that thing about condoms and gay prostitutes. As for Francis, he actually called Tony Palmer a brother bishop,washed the feet of infidel females, told conservatives to stop focusing so much on moral issues, and said there was no Catholic God. Churchmen, including popes, are not infallible oracles whose every word is pristine dogma,nor is every action they take to be emulated or excused.

We are living in an extraordinary era of ecclesiastical ineptitude, stupidity and basic dogmatic and doctrinal illiteracy. Boy give me papal concubines ANYDAY over the sheer nonsense of Paul VI-Francis. When they are saying and doing stupid things we do not need to make excuses for them.

If we excuse or hold up for emulation every word and action of the Pope and the bishops we are displaying, not trust in the Holy Spirit but dangerous cult-like tendencies.
(11-16-2014, 05:32 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: Self deception indeed! The depths Catholics have gone to downplay, justify or excuse the stupidity, heresy and apostasy of many churchmen is just staggering. John Paul kissed a koran and he knew exactly what he was kissing and why, the same way Benedict XVI really did say that thing about condoms and gay prostitutes. As for Francis, he actually called Tony Palmer a brother bishop,washed the feet of infidel females, told conservatives to stop focusing so much on moral issues, and said there was no Catholic God. Churchmen, including popes, are not infallible oracles whose every word is pristine dogma,nor is every action they take to be emulated or excused.

We are living in an extraordinary era of ecclesiastical ineptitude, stupidity and basic dogmatic and doctrinal illiteracy. Boy give me papal concubines ANYDAY over the sheer nonsense of Paul VI-Francis. When they are saying and doing stupid things we do not need to make excuses for them.

If we excuse or hold up for emulation every word and action of the Pope and the bishops we are displaying, not trust in the Holy Spirit but dangerous cult-like tendencies.

Well said.

Everywhere I go I hear Cathoics talk about how they  can "connect" with  Francis and try to rationalize, play by play, each one of his spiritual time bombs. Sheer stupidity. Enamoured with the person of Bergoglio instead of showing love for the Church or true loyalty to the office of the Papacy