Low Carb Diet
I started one last January and have lost 80+ pounds.  I've never felt so healthy.  Even after the first few days I had more physical (and mental) energy than I have had in years.

I basically follow the Atkins Diet.  20 net carbs a day max.  High healthy fat, medium amounts of protein, low carb.

If you've got some weight to lose, or need to kick the sugar blues, and enjoy eating: steak, chicken wings, cheeseburgers, salmon, cheese, nuts, cream, salad, vegetables, mayo, butter, etc, etc (as long as it is low carb and preferably natural, unprocessed, "real" food) then give it a try.

http://www.atkins.com/Program/Overview.aspx

http://www.abebooks.com/servlet/BookDeta...%3Bsts%3Dt

(Questions welcome!)
That's excellent! Congratulations to you on your weight loss.  Smile I personally am a committed weight watchers devotee, but whatever gets you to your goal weight via healthy means is great. Do you think the Atkin's Diet is a healthy way to loose weight and keep it off? That's the only thing... It seems like it's a pretty high fat diet, and maybe not so good for the ol' cholesterol level.

Even so, I might just try Atkin's for a little while in order knock off the last few stubborn pounds and get myself to my goal weight. I'm so sick of paying WW's the $43.00 every month, but I totally want to get the WW lifetime membership, which is free.

PS-Your doggy is very cute.
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(11-17-2014, 11:14 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: That's excellent! Congratulations to you on your weight loss.  Smile I personally am a committed weight watchers devotee, but whatever gets you to your goal weight via healthy means is great. Do you think the Atkin's Diet is a healthy way to loose weight and keep it off? That's the only thing... It seems like it's a pretty high fat diet, and maybe not so good for the ol' cholesterol level.

Even so, I might just try Atkin's for a little while in order knock off the last few stubborn pounds and get myself to my goal weight. I'm so sick of paying WW's the $43.00 every month, but I totally want to get the WW lifetime membership, which is free.

PS-Your doggy is very cute.

From my own personal experience, and from what I have read in the scientific literature, a low carb diet is very healthy.  I haven't felt this physically or mentally healthy in many years.  Typically your lipid profile will improve dramatically:  good cholesterol goes up, bad cholesterol goes down, and triglycerides go down.  Also, blood sugar and insulin levels become very stable. 

When you eat high carbs you have high insulin levels that contribute to fat storeage and a bad lipid profile.  Also, hypoglycemia is common which results in carb addiction, food craving, and over-eating throughout the day.  But low carb/high fat food tends to be nutritient-dense and appetite-stabilizing, so you actually tend to eat less calories than on a low calorie/low fat diet.

Fat has been demonized by the recommended American diet in the last few decades, even though it is a great source of energy, especially for the brain.  We have to get our main source of energy either from carbs or fat.  If we eat high carb we have to eat low fat.  Our metabolism is slower, and so the fat (especially the saturated fat) tends to get stored or clogs our arteries.  But, when you get your majority calories from fat, your metabolism is so boosted that your burn through all the fat, including saturated fat (which your body needs), and if you eat excess fat it tends to be excreted in your waist.

I would highly recommend trying the Atkins, low carb/high fat diet for a couple of weeks.  You will very likely lose 10-15 pounds and experience more energy than you have in a long time.
Congratulations, Chris!!  Really great!  I'm so glad for you.

The science backs you up on the low carb diet.  It's healthy.  Fat is indeed good for you.  People don't realize all the nutritious vegetables one eats (and must eat) on Atkins.

Keep it up.  Maintenance is key.
(11-17-2014, 07:53 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote: Congratulations, Chris!!  Really great!  I'm so glad for you.

The science backs you up on the low carb diet.  It's healthy.  Fat is indeed good for you.  People don't realize all the nutritious vegetables one eats (and must eat) on Atkins.

Keep it up.  Maintenance is key.

Gracias Clare!  Or should I say "Guacamole"?  Grin  Very low carb.  Avocado and sour cream.  Great with pork rinds.

Of the 20 net carbs a day on Atkins, 12-15 are to come from vegetables.

Once in "maintenance" phase, after losing the pounds, you can up the carbs to as high as 100 grams/day, or whatever amount at which you neither lose nor gain (most Americans eat 200-300 a day which is mostly refined carbs like sugar).

How are you doing on your diet?  Eating anything good lately?
No fruit on this diet?
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
(11-17-2014, 11:39 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: How are you doing on your diet?  Eating anything good lately?

I have maintained my weight at around 182-185 pounds since last Spring, after having lost almost 150 pounds.  (I'm 6'1".)  So I have been maintaining a new set point for about nine months.  This really is the best possible outcome for me and I am very grateful.

I simply continue eating the way I learned to eat, using the following components, in order of importance:  (1) Intuitive Eating, as taught by Tribole and Resch; (2) choosing whole, unprocessed foods most of the time; (3) leaning toward the Paleo diet, but not completely; (4) not being "all or nothing" about anything.

I use my exercise bike most days of the week and do plenty of walking.

That's it.  Deo gratias.

And so . . . anything good recently?  Why yes, as a matter of fact.  The breakfast I just ate, for instance:  a hefty wedge of ground pork meatloaf refried in my cast iron skillet in olive oil with a green bell pepper, bella mushrooms sliced thick and red onions, and one egg fried over medium atop the meatloaf.  With plenty of Simply Heinz Ketchup.

I suffer.  Smile
(11-18-2014, 10:13 AM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(11-17-2014, 11:39 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: How are you doing on your diet?  Eating anything good lately?

I have maintained my weight at around 182-185 pounds since last Spring, after having lost almost 150 pounds.  (I'm 6'1".)  So I have been maintaining a new set point for about nine months.  This really is the best possible outcome for me and I am very grateful.

I simply continue eating the way I learned to eat, using the following components, in order of importance:  (1) Intuitive Eating, as taught by Tribole and Resch; (2) choosing whole, unprocessed foods most of the time; (3) leaning toward the Paleo diet, but not completely; (4) not being "all or nothing" about anything.

I use my exercise bike most days of the week and do plenty of walking.

That's it.  Deo gratias.

And so . . . anything good recently?  Why yes, as a matter of fact.  The breakfast I just ate, for instance:  a hefty wedge of ground pork meatloaf refried in my cast iron skillet in olive oil with a green bell pepper, bella mushrooms sliced thick and red onions, and one egg fried over medium atop the meatloaf.  With plenty of Simply Heinz Ketchup.

I suffer.  Smile

Your success is great!  I know "getting there" is half the battle.  It can be tempting to focus on dropping to a target weight, and less on a permanent lifestyle change.  Maybe the mind kind of has to trick itself into focusing on the weight loss in order to actually do it, but keeping the big picture in mind is key to keeping the weight off.

I think with my Atkins eating habits I tend to lean towards the Paleo approach too.  Now that we have a bigger place with a second bedroom, I am thinking about using it partly as an exercise room.  A stationary bike would do nicely.

Your breakfast sounds great.  Minus the ketchup, unless I can manage to find a no-sugar-added ketchup one day.
(11-18-2014, 08:49 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: No fruit on this diet?

Fruit is allowed when doing Atkins!  As long as it does not bring your total net carbs for the day above 20.  So you are not eating much fruit for a while.  Once you reach your target weight, you can eat more fruit. 

A lot of fruit is high in sugar.  The high-sugar fruit is more like candy, to be eaten at special occasions.  Very modest amounts of natural sugar are healthy, but anything more will play havoc with your blood sugar, insulin levels, and overall metabolism.  The best kinds of fruit are the ones that don't raise your blood sugar very much, ie have a low "glycemic index," especially berries!
I eat a lot of fruit in between meals when I get hungry. I think I better just stick to WW. It's slow going, but it's my routine.

I found this low carb grocery list for Thanksgiving and thought of your thread. I thought maybe you'd get a kick out of it:
http://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com/...ocery_List