Low Carb Diet
(11-21-2014, 08:42 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: I eat a lot of fruit in between meals when I get hungry. I think I better just stick to WW. It's slow going, but it's my routine.

I found this low carb grocery list for Thanksgiving and thought of your thread. I thought maybe you'd get a kick out of it:
http://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com/...ocery_List

Thanks for the list.  That's great you have been successful on WW.  I think some of the principles of low carb could be used on WW:  eat less carbs especially refined carbs, increase protein, and increase healthy fats (which really help with appetite).  Good luck reaching your goal!
(11-21-2014, 07:23 PM)christulsa123 Wrote:
(11-21-2014, 08:42 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: I eat a lot of fruit in between meals when I get hungry. I think I better just stick to WW. It's slow going, but it's my routine.

I found this low carb grocery list for Thanksgiving and thought of your thread. I thought maybe you'd get a kick out of it:
http://www.freeprintablegrocerylist.com/...ocery_List

Thanks for the list.  That's great you have been successful on WW.  I think some of the principles of low carb could be used on WW:  eat less carbs especially refined carbs, increase protein, and increase healthy fats (which really help with appetite).  Good luck reaching your goal!

Thanks! There's no question but that I have to watch the bread, pasta, and my sweet tooth on WW's. Technically nothing's forbidden, however fruits, veggies and lean meats are the mainstay. All else must be eaten within moderation.

A happy and successful maintenance to you!
"Not only are we all in the same boat, but we are all seasick.” --G.K. Chesterton
I've lost about 7 more pounds in the last 2 weeks since posting this thread eating low carb/high fat.  I'm sticking to 5 net carbs or less a day, have reduced some protein, and added more fat.  I have a lot of mental and physical energy.  I hope to lose 10 more pounds by Christmas.  After that I may go back up to 20 net carbs a day adding more vegetables, cheese, and nuts, which is basically the Atkins "induction phase" which makes sure you are in ketosis (burning fat instead of carbs for energy).  I am focused on reaching my goal weight by the end of January, for a grand total weight loss of 115 pounds!

Here is a low carb/high fat blog I follow for daily motivation.  This man lost about 200 pounds eating very satisfying, filling, nutritious meals everyday.

http://www.eatlowcarbhighfat.com/
B: 3 pieces of bacon, 1 scrambled egg - sustained me well until lunch

L: 3 pieces of monterey jack cheese/3 slices of roast beef from the market deli (man was I full, and I probably should have eaten a little less of the protein)

D: 2 eggs scrambled in about 2 tablespoons of butter; a chicken thigh skin on;  mayo with basil;  chocolate-mint fat bomb* 

* Fat bombs are discussed earlier in this thread

I can literally see my waist shrinking every morning in the mirror.  Low Carb and Lovin' It!
B: 1 hard-boiled egg, 3 glasses of water

L: 3 slices of roast beef, 3 slices of pepper jack cheese, antipasto-marinated olives, yellow bell pepper, artichoke, bottle of coconut-flavored spritzer.  All from the local market deli.  $5 lunch.

D: Small piece of fatty rottiserie chicken thigh, medium size chunk of pure parmesan cheese (mmm), seasoned seaweed chips (mmm), 3 glasses of water.

Lots of energy today.  Absolutely no cravings for food, sugar, carbs.  Sustained energy.  I went through my old clothes I've progressively grown out of the last 20 years (!).  We are talking XL/34 inch waist in high school when I was thin and athletic, 2XL/42 inch waist in college when I became clinically obese, 3X/46 inch waist by my late 20s when I was clinically morbidally obese, and even a few 4XLs/48+ waist pants by my late 30s.  After 11 months of eating a healthy, satisfying easy diet I can now fit into XL shirts I wore in high school and 38 inch pants!!!  It was like going shopping.
Brunch:  Monterry-jack cheese omelet--1 egg fried in 2 tablespoons of butter on medium-low heat
                2 slices of baked bacon with s/p
                Basil mayo
                Chocolate shake (almond milk, flax meal, cocoa powder, sucralose)
                3 cups of water

Dinner:  Baked Mackerel with head and tail, seasoned with olive oil
                Shirataki noodles tossed with a tablespoon of marinara, a generous amount of olive oil, and herbs
                Mayo seasoned with lemon, s/p
                1 ounce of bourbon
                3 cups of water

4 cups of Jasimine green tea throughout the day.  Looking forward to next week cooking the pork belly, pork ribs, and chicken wings we bought this weekend at the new Asian market in Tulsa.  And munching on seaweed chips (super good) while drinking green tea.

Do you bods think that you can live forever and avoid Judgement with some silly dietary fads?

To me, the only things to avoid for a normal human health (and to die when the time is up) is processed and preserved "apparent" food. Most of that "stuff" that is sold as "food" doesn't even taste like food to someone like me who has been reared on food that's been gotten from the ground.
(12-08-2014, 09:07 AM)Oldavid Wrote: Do you bods think that you can live forever and avoid Judgement with some silly dietary fads?

To me, the only things to avoid for a normal human health (and to die when the time is up) is processed and preserved "apparent" food. Most of that "stuff" that is sold as "food" doesn't even taste like food to someone like me who has been reared on food that's been gotten from the ground.

That's pretty much what I was getting at with this post.  The plan upon which we have embarked consists mostly of food that's been gotten from the ground, to which we might add a little bit of food derived from things that walk on the ground  Grin.  I thank God that, given our fallen nature and what we've done to the world and each other as a result, we will not live forever.  God was no dummy when he decided it'd be a bad idea to immortalize sin and sinfulness.
B: 3 cups of water, 3 ounces of Munster cheese

L:  3 chicken wings fried in coconut oil, caesar dressing, spinach sauteed in olive oil, 1 ounce Munster cheese, jasmine green tea, 3 cups of water, cocoa/flax smoothie

D: Mackerel, mayo with basil, spinach sauteed in bacon/bacon fat, jasmine green tea

I've lost a couple more pounds!  This week I'm feeling smaller and more agile.  And I'm beginning to notice more conture of muscles in my arms and legs. It feels like I can reach my Christmas goal weight.  But recently I experienced some muscle fatigue/twitching and tenderness in my shin bones.  A Calcium Magnesium supplement, increasing my veggies especially the leafy greens (spinach is very high in Magnesium), and starting now some light free weights, did the trick.  It was really an enlightening experience when after I swallowed the first tablet,  within an hour those symptoms disappeared.  Nearly every molecule in our body comes from what we ingest!  Just one thing missing, the body is out of balance.  This was a watershed moment.  Literally everything I allow into my body will determine how healthy or sick I am, and how long I will live!  Wow!

If you decide to try a low carb diet, make sure you get the best nutrients from vegetables, and take supplements like a good multi-vitamin/mineral, Calcium Magnesium, etc. 

Also, here is one list of doctor's who recommend low carb, by state.  Scroll down, list is on the right.  http://lowcarbdoctors.blogspot.com/ 
B: 2 eggs scrambled in 2 tablespoons of butter, 2 small pieces of roast pork belly, dijon mustard, cocoa/flax smoothie

L:  small handful of spicy almonds/pecans

D: 2 pieces of baked bacon, half cup of brocolli sauteed in bacon drippings, small Romaine salad with EVOO vinaigrette, cup of beef bouillon. 

I'm 4-5 pounds away from my Christmas goal weight.  I think I can do it!  J Michael's thread about his high carb diet was helpful, got me thinking and digging up more research on diet in general, higher carb vs lower carb, plant-based diet vs animal-based diet.  What occurs to me is that the best diet for losing/maintaining weight and having optimal health depends on your genetics, race, ethnicity, food culture, personal metabolism, and history of health issues.  It seems to me If your body metabolizes well a certain diet, you feel great, and your blood work/physical exams show good health then that's the best diet for you.  Someone on a low carb, high fat diet could have the same results as someone on a high carb, low fat diet:  excellent blood lipids, blood pressure, degree of inflammation, blood alkalinity, insulin/blood sugar levels, physical energy, mental clarity, etc. 

If you have a history of overweight, obesity, blood sugar problems, symptoms of depression/anxiety, struggle with diet and losing weight, a low carb/high fat diet may be your healthiest option!  And that might be the best choice for the majority of modern Americans!

I'm also planning ahead to when I am able to reach my goal weight, to gradually increase back carbs.  I may find the best long-term diet for my metabolism and maintaining my weight is still relatively low carb (like 100 carbs a day, vs 0-20 I've been eating), or that my body ultimately does best on higher carbs.  But considering my long history of obesity beginning in college, and eating junk food since birth, I am leaning towards low carb being permanent.  Filipino/American dishes low carb, maybe with some aspects of a Mediterranean diet (which is usually low carb/high fat).  Lots of olive oil, butter, coconut oil, oily fish like salmon, mackerel, sardines, lots of veggies, a little bit of cheese, nuts, dark chocolate, and wine every day, some low sugar fruits. Looking forward to it!