Low Carb Diet
B: low carb chocolate smoothie, sunny-side up eggs, fried cheese hotdog

L: spinach/turkey salad with blue cheese dressing, fried chicken breast

D: pork ribs, broccoli salad, sour cream seasoned with s/p

If anyone reading has suffered from morbid obesity, or just being overweight, or related illnesses, and is interested in trying a low carb diet approach, here are a couple websites with good info.  God bless and good health!

http://www.atkins.com/how-it-works

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf

I have suffered from morbid obesity... the Missus has it and she carts it from fad diet to fad diet.... Woohoo! I'm glad I can die of old age without all the palaver of trying to live forever (the forever of Heaven is not forbidden to jolly, corpulent types as far as I know).
(11-17-2014, 11:14 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: That's excellent! Congratulations to you on your weight loss.  Smile I personally am a committed weight watchers devotee, but whatever gets you to your goal weight via healthy means is great. Do you think the Atkin's Diet is a healthy way to loose weight and keep it off? That's the only thing... It seems like it's a pretty high fat diet, and maybe not so good for the ol' cholesterol level.

I've been a low carb guy (with high ratios of fat and protein) for a few years now. I dropped 40 lbs initially, about a dozen of which I've happily been able to put back on through exercise. My Cholesterol has not moved much when you consider the raw number. I usually sit in the 190's (while the rest of my family is in the 400+ range, usually) My ldl has plummeted, my hdl has skyrocketed and my triglycerides (even on my high fat diet) are in the toilet.

Of course, take this with the usual grain of salt, that one person's experience does not a successful diet make. I have other areas in my life that have changed as well over the last few years that probably help all of this, too. Better/more exercise, better/more sleep, lower stress, less tv time, newer hobbies...

I also have a few pet theories about high carb diets that are completely untested, so I'll let those rest, but I do think a good lower carb diet is worth doing.
(03-02-2015, 11:00 AM)New Arcadian Wrote:
(11-17-2014, 11:14 AM)Jacafamala Wrote: That's excellent! Congratulations to you on your weight loss.  Smile I personally am a committed weight watchers devotee, but whatever gets you to your goal weight via healthy means is great. Do you think the Atkin's Diet is a healthy way to loose weight and keep it off? That's the only thing... It seems like it's a pretty high fat diet, and maybe not so good for the ol' cholesterol level.

I've been a low carb guy (with high ratios of fat and protein) for a few years now. I dropped 40 lbs initially, about a dozen of which I've happily been able to put back on through exercise. My Cholesterol has not moved much when you consider the raw number. I usually sit in the 190's (while the rest of my family is in the 400+ range, usually) My ldl has plummeted, my hdl has skyrocketed and my triglycerides (even on my high fat diet) are in the toilet.

Of course, take this with the usual grain of salt, that one person's experience does not a successful diet make. I have other areas in my life that have changed as well over the last few years that probably help all of this, too. Better/more exercise, better/more sleep, lower stress, less tv time, newer hobbies...

I also have a few pet theories about high carb diets that are completely untested, so I'll let those rest, but I do think a good lower carb diet is worth doing.

Great to hear from a fellow low-carber.  Wow, you've been doing low carb for years!  Where do you get your sources of fat?  :Lately I get my fat from butter, coconut oil, and mayo.

I read today Mike Huckabee lost 100 pounds on Atkins.  I think he's kept it off for many years. 

My own pet theory that low carb scientists/doctors themselves are putting out there is that FAT itself is the secret weapon/super-food not only in weight maintenance, but in promoting optimal health.  That if the body's metabolism is adapted to using fat as its primary fuel source, people can greatly improve physical energy and mental clarity.  Check out this video by "Butter Bob."  It has a funny title.

(03-03-2015, 10:58 PM)christulsa123 Wrote: Where do you get your sources of fat?

My diet stays pretty simple. Fats come from Meat, butter, and cheeses. I also pack in a good number of veggies. Eggs are a daily staple and I have to buy them in the bulkier quantities to keep enough on the shelf to last the week.

My philosophy is now that I have the broad categories nailed down, work within that, don't count too much and eat food that tastes good.

I do use a  higher carb shake before workouts now because I have some pretty physical work outs, but I am playing with the numbers on that as my work load goes up.
I see a lot of people here doing a low carb diet, can anyone give me feedback about side effects? There's an article (https://www.dietspotlight.com/low-carb-diet) I read that says bad breath, nausea, and headaches. Anyone?