Man Cold
Sheesh, y'all....

Ideal world:

Bourbon A. : Let me have a little fun and type something funny.

Fishies: Hahaha--let's not take him seriously.

Real world:

Not ideal.

Merry Christmas.

(12-24-2014, 02:43 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: no no no....

Ideal world:

Man: I'm sick.

Woman: Oh, honey, let me bring you a blanket, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and your favorite book.

Real world:

Woman: Oh, isn't that too bloody bad. I've been sick all week. Now here, it's your turn to walk the dog.

What a wonderful Christian attitude of doing unto others!! ::sarcasm:: You actually illustrate perfectly what I said except in the words of a woman.
(12-24-2014, 03:23 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote:

Ideal world:

Woman: Oh, honey, let me bring you a blanket, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and your favorite book.

Real world:

Woman: Oh, isn't that too bloody bad. I've been sick all week. Now here, it's your turn to walk the dog.

What a wonderful Christian attitude of doing unto others!! ::sarcasm:: You actually illustrate perfectly what I said except in the words of a woman.

i think the reason why man colds are a thing is because oftenthe men want to be taken care of and they want to rest but the wife doesnt get a break

women are statistically more likely to be left by their husbands after being diagnosed with a severe health condition:

Quote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/12...ncer/?_r=0

when i got sick my wife took on the caregiver role as well as the family provider role

it is traditional for women to be caregivers but a man caring for his wife might make him go out of his comfort zone

(12-24-2014, 03:23 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote:

Ideal world:

Real world:

Oh riiiiight... I forget we're not allowed to make light of these things lest we should upset DS.

The reality is, my husband gets sick days. 10 of them a year to be exact, not that he uses that many of them because he fortunately rarely gets sick. You know how many I get? Zero. You know how many SAHMs usually get? Zero. You know how often you get sick when you work with little kids? Lots. Ask any preschool or kindergarten teacher, who, incidently, get sick days.

But seriously, it's a cold. For most people, life simply goes on because it has to (Chestertonian and others with serious chronic conditions are the exception, not the rule). I'm not advocating for going out and contaminating the community with your germs, but C'MON! It's videos like this that propogate the stereotype that men are big wusses. That they cry for their Mommy instead of being a man and caring for their families. I thought you of all people would voice that!

For the record, if my husband is sick enough to stay home, he's generally allowed the day in bed (although he might be more rest/more quiet at the office). And he's taken the odd sick day so I can have "sick day", but those are pretty rare too.

Now excuse me if I'm grumpy, because I've just come off 12 days of kids with stomach flu, missed Christmas with our families back home as planned because of it and now I've caught the baby's cold. Good night.

(11-24-2014, 02:38 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: And I say this as one who LOATHES modern feminism. I adore men! I know exactly where we'd be without them!
Yair. Well I don't adore men so we'll have to have a disagreement about that. Man friends are kind of useful if we want to crap on about "she who must be obeyed" and all that. But they (man friends) are not the slightest use in maintaining order in the home.

I can only guess that God's idea of "male and female He created them" was a good one.
(12-26-2014, 01:04 AM)Chestertonian Wrote: i think the reason why man colds are a thing is because oftenthe men want to be taken care of and they want to rest but the wife doesnt get a break

women are statistically more likely to be left by their husbands after being diagnosed with a severe health condition:

Quote:http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/12...ncer/?_r=0

when i got sick my wife took on the caregiver role as well as the family provider role

it is traditional for women to be caregivers but a man caring for his wife might make him go out of his comfort zone

Chester, read between the lines. Only 12% of the couples in the article you referenced ended up divorce. Of those 12%, 21% of the couples where the wife was sick got divorced. Probability of 2 events as percentage of the total is calculated by multiplying (0.12 x 0.21 = 0.03) the 2 events such that overall 3% of  couples divorced because the man didn't want to be a caretaker. That is not a crisis under any means. There may have been other factors to explain this.

(12-26-2014, 02:57 AM)PrairieMom Wrote: Oh riiiiight... I forget we're not allowed to make light of these things lest we should upset DS.

The reality is, my husband gets sick days. 10 of them a year to be exact, not that he uses that many of them because he fortunately rarely gets sick. You know how many I get? Zero. You know how many SAHMs usually get? Zero. You know how often you get sick when you work with little kids? Lots. Ask any preschool or kindergarten teacher, who, incidently, get sick days.

But seriously, it's a cold. For most people, life simply goes on because it has to (Chestertonian and others with serious chronic conditions are the exception, not the rule). I'm not advocating for going out and contaminating the community with your germs, but C'MON! It's videos like this that propogate the stereotype that men are big wusses. That they cry for their Mommy instead of being a man and caring for their families. I thought you of all people would voice that!

For the record, if my husband is sick enough to stay home, he's generally allowed the day in bed (although he might be more rest/more quiet at the office). And he's taken the odd sick day so I can have "sick day", but those are pretty rare too.

Now excuse me if I'm grumpy, because I've just come off 12 days of kids with stomach flu, missed Christmas with our families back home as planned because of it and now I've caught the baby's cold. Good night.

Honestly, I don't care what you think. I was just pointing out a fact. PrairieMom, let me ask you something. Assuming you live in a traditional marriage it is your husband who is 24/7/365 responsible for your safety and day to day happiness. Corinthians 5:25? When does he get a break from having to carry that cross? Answer: NOT UNTIL HE DIES!! Going to work is only part of a man's burden under the curse of mankind's fall. How about you think outside the box a bit before lobbing uncharitable remarks at your brethren because of your own frustrations.

Lastly, glad to hear you ALLOW your husband the day in bed. I can only imagine the female outcry if a man dared to use the word "allow" in describing his permissions / expectations of woman.
This thread is hilarious. It started as a joke and turned into a discussion.

I usually don't even tell people I have a cold. There was only one time when I needed taking care—I don't know why sometimes colds are more severe.

But I'm kinda with DS on this one. Marriage is not supposed to be a struggle (a negotiation between two parties of when one works, when one rests, etc.), but should be mutual serving. I would absolutely love taking care of my wife had I one, be it by pulling an all-nighter or whatever, and I expect she helps me when I need her (Genesis 2 anyone?)
(12-26-2014, 10:35 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: This thread is hilarious. It started as a joke and turned into a discussion.

I usually don't even tell people I have a cold. There was only one time when I needed taking care—I don't know why sometimes colds are more severe.

But I'm kinda with DS on this one. Marriage is not supposed to be a struggle (a negotiation between two parties of when one works, when one rests, etc.), but should be mutual serving. I would absolutely love taking care of my wife had I one, be it by pulling an all-nighter or whatever, and I expect she helps me when I need her (Genesis 2 anyone?)

To this I say AMEN! And I have no problem being my wife's caretaker. I work with a guy whose wife is heavily medicated for a psychological problem. He is fiercely loyal to her even though she cant do or say much. Some people just like to keep score for the bragging rights......
(11-24-2014, 02:38 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote: And I say this as one who LOATHES modern feminism. I adore men! I know exactly where we'd be without them!

You mean a world with only women wouldn't be a gynotopia of peace and harmony from coast to coast, with all getting along with each other and being happy and fulfilled?  :eyeroll:

(01-02-2015, 09:47 AM)Leonhard Wrote:

You mean a world with only women wouldn't be a gynotopia of peace and harmony from coast to coast, with all getting along with each other and being happy and fulfilled?  :eyeroll:

No, they'd all be fighting about who is TRULY a feminist and throwing out anyone who doesn't agree with them just like NOW did to the "Feminists for Life." Or maybe they would be fighting with each other over presents for their kids (http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/weird-news/...ne-4549006). Yes, bring on the feminocracy! I think a good laugh is what the world needs at this point lol!