Man Cold
So, women are supposed to respect men, in order to die to self (which I take in this context to mean: "not complain if their husbands get "sick days" at home and they don't) and men are supposed to...? Just be willing to literally die for their wives, but not swallow any of their complaints in daily life (because women have marriage so much easier than men)? I think ideally both spouses are supposed to each do what they can to help each other. The knife cuts both ways, as the saying is.
(01-16-2015, 12:03 PM)Deidre Wrote: So, women are supposed to respect men, in order to die to self (which I take in this context to mean: "not complain if their husbands get "sick days" at home and they don't) and men are supposed to...? Just be willing to literally die for their wives, but not swallow any of their complaints in daily life (because women have marriage so much easier than men)? I think ideally both spouses are supposed to each do what they can to help each other. The knife cuts both ways, as the saying is.

Yep. What St. Paul says in Eph. 2.25 is clearly much broader than simply offering one's life, literally. It is a daily sacrifice (and, yes, sometimes this means swallowing our pride and even our rights for the benefit of the other, sometimes even of the other in error--maybe so that the error may be forgiven and eventually corrected, as Christ does with us).
Isn't it a bit like when Christ says that we should carry our crosses and follow him? Yes, some martyrs were crucified, but the vast majority of Christians are not under this immediate threat.
But of course, women are to help in this. The balance should never be lost, ideally.

It would be much more comfortable, of course, if it were literally death: we could just chill until war breaks out. But until then we would simply say “hey, I'm bound to die for you”.

(01-16-2015, 12:03 PM)Deidre Wrote: So, women are supposed to respect men, in order to die to self (which I take in this context to mean: "not complain if their husbands get "sick days" at home and they don't) and men are supposed to...? Just be willing to literally die for their wives, but not swallow any of their complaints in daily life (because women have marriage so much easier than men)? I think ideally both spouses are supposed to each do what they can to help each other. The knife cuts both ways, as the saying is.

LOL! Seriously? Men bottle everything up and carry on. That's what have traditionally done and that's what we continue to do. Why do think the feminazi's are busy telling their sons to share emotions? Answer: Because that's not what men have typically done!! If men unloaded all our contentious points with women their brains would overload.....
My comment about husbands swallowing complaints was referring to this:
(01-13-2015, 11:34 PM)divinesilence80 Wrote: Your husband is bound by Ephesians 5:25 which is death sentence, but him asking you not to make a racket is soooooo bad? That's the problem with women. Y'all don't know how good you have it......

not referring to "sharing emotions." Just because a man is bound to "love [their] wives, even as Christ loved the Church and gave Himself up for it," doesn't mean that it should be okay for him to grumble when his wife is just trying to keep the house running smoothly, and that the wife thinking that it's excessive is somehow lacking in respect, or not being a good wife. To paraphrase St. Teresa: "For the love of God, don't complain about trifling things. If the evil is great, it will complain of itself. Learn to bear a little for the sake of Christ, who bore so much for us." Once again, this is equally applicable to men and women.
(01-16-2015, 12:35 PM)Renatus Frater Wrote: Isn't it a bit like when Christ says that we should carry our crosses and follow him? Yes, some martyrs were crucified, but the vast majority of Christians are not under this immediate threat.
But of course, women are to help in this. The balance should never be lost, ideally.
Sometimes our women make us feel like it'd be better to have the immediate threat of martyrdom.  :grin:
(12-24-2014, 02:43 AM)PrairieMom Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 12:55 AM)divinesilence80 Wrote:
(12-24-2014, 12:03 AM)Bourbon Apocalypse Wrote: Ideal world:

Man: I'm sick.

Woman: Oh, honey, let me bring you a blanket, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and your favorite book.

Real world:

Bourbon Apocalypse: I'm sick.

Women (recent estimates: 1005): Whatever you wish is our command.

Allow me to correct you....

Ideal world:

Woman: Oh, honey, don't worry about a thing except getting better!

Real world:

Bourbon Apocalypse: I'm sick.

Women (recent estimates: 1005): Better you than me! I matter more! :-D

no no no....

Ideal world:

Woman: Oh, honey, let me bring you a blanket, a bowl of chicken noodle soup, and your favorite book.

Real world:

Woman: Oh, isn't that too bloody bad. I've been sick all week. Now here, it's your turn to walk the dog.

True to life. I shoulda been a monk ;)