High Carb "diet"
(12-01-2014, 10:57 AM)J Michael Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 03:39 AM)christulsa123 Wrote: J Michael, let me inform you about the low carb diet because I think, not to be nasty either, that unlike your reading of a high carb diet, you are badly informed.  It increases healthy cholesterol, decreases bad cholesterol, decreases triglycerides, decreases insulin levels (and therefore cures diabetes, pre-diabetes, hypoglycemia), radically increases daily physical energy, radically increases mental health in terms of mental clarity, etc, etc. And I can speak FIRST HAND that this is a fact.  Dr. Atkins, and now a network of low carb doctors across the world, use it to treat many illnesses.  So you are mistaken that it is just about losing weight, and does not improve health.  I would be glad to post the overwhelming evidence from medical journals.

Sorry, I didn't mean to come across with snark.  I've worked in health and nutrition for over 30 years (I was a practicing homeopath for much of that time) and am fairly well informed about low-carb diets, and the benefits of them.  Probably more than most folks.  I'm also aware of some of the drawbacks and potential dangers.  And, I don't want to get into a pissing contest about it all.  But, it's not the be-all and end-all of eating plans; not a panacea by any means.  And neither is a whole foods, plant-based (high carb) way of life! 

What's abundantly clear to me is that we are all going to die and we are all going to die of *something*.  In the meantime, we can take some measures to perhaps prolong our time here (though, I've got to admit that sometimes I wonder "why?" about that), and to improve the quality of that time.  So...low-carb or high-carb or no-carb; low-fat, high-fat, no-fat...we're going to become ill---every single one of us--illness is not optional, it is inevitable--and we are going to leave this life and meet our Maker.

My wife and I will be trying out the whole food, plant-based (high carb) plan, based on the research and studies and anecdotal evidence available for that, and I'll keep you posted of our progress, if any.  If it doesn't work, I'll let you know that, too.  And, we may "tweak" it here and there according to our preferences and whims. :)  But we will give it a good go!

Addendum to the above:  One thing my wife and I discussed, and may implement as we embark on this journey, is the possibility of tweaking the plan by adding a slightly more concentrated source of protein, like chicken or lean beef, a couple or three times a week.  I know that would kill the vegan-ness of it, but I'm not married to the concept of vegan-ism.  If it looks like we're getting enough protein from plant sources, including tofu, sprouts, etc., then we may not do that.  Ooopsies....there goes being "strict in the adoption of the plan" that Clare asked for  :O :grin: :O :grin:.  Oh well...Sorry, Clare...
(12-01-2014, 01:27 PM)J Michael Wrote: Addendum to the above:  One thing my wife and I discussed, and may implement as we embark on this journey, is the possibility of tweaking the plan by adding a slightly more concentrated source of protein, like chicken or lean beef, a couple or three times a week.  I know that would kill the vegan-ness of it, but I'm not married to the concept of vegan-ism.  If it looks like we're getting enough protein from plant sources, including tofu, sprouts, etc., then we may not do that.  Ooopsies....there goes being "strict in the adoption of the plan" that Clare asked for  :O :grin: :O :grin:.  Oh well...Sorry, Clare...

You are, after all, a man trying to eat healthy, not a lab experiment.
J Mike, no worries.  I wish you and your wife success and health on this new diet.  I think we can all agree there is not one exact diet for everyone.

I look forward to reading your future posts telling us your progress.

Dr. Andrew Weil's anti-inflammatory diet (which I have followed before and improved my health on) is pretty close to being vegan, but over the years he added fish for the protein and omega-3s.  He recommends wild salmon, sardines, mackerel, and others high in omega-3s (of course avoiding fish with mercury).  He has also ammended his diet to be somewhat lower in carbs (ie sugar and starches).
(12-01-2014, 02:40 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 01:27 PM)J Michael Wrote: Addendum to the above:  One thing my wife and I discussed, and may implement as we embark on this journey, is the possibility of tweaking the plan by adding a slightly more concentrated source of protein, like chicken or lean beef, a couple or three times a week.  I know that would kill the vegan-ness of it, but I'm not married to the concept of vegan-ism.  If it looks like we're getting enough protein from plant sources, including tofu, sprouts, etc., then we may not do that.  Ooopsies....there goes being "strict in the adoption of the plan" that Clare asked for  :O :grin: :O :grin:.  Oh well...Sorry, Clare...

You are, after all, a man trying to eat healthy, not a lab experiment.

EEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeek!

[Image: 0928-frankenstein-moon_full_600.jpg]

[Image: BWO-Y66CQAAZvcn.jpg:large]
(12-01-2014, 01:27 PM)J Michael Wrote: Ooopsies....there goes being "strict in the adoption of the plan" that Clare asked for  :O :grin: :O :grin:.  Oh well...Sorry, Clare...

My child, I never recommended that you follow that diet.  I basically meant that you should walk your talk, or . . . stop talking.  :blah:

:P
(12-01-2014, 09:51 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(12-01-2014, 01:27 PM)J Michael Wrote: Ooopsies....there goes being "strict in the adoption of the plan" that Clare asked for  :O :grin: :O :grin:.  Oh well...Sorry, Clare...

My child, I never recommended that you follow that diet.  I basically meant that you should walk your talk, or . . . stop talking.  :blah:

:P

"My child"?!?!?!?  :O ??? :O :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:  "Oy vey!", said the grandfather.

And I didn't suggest that you recommended that diet to me.  And, I wouldn't have posted about it, saying we were planning on looking in to it and/or doing it if I wasn't going to.  That isn't, what's the phrase you young whippersnappers use today??, "how I roll".
I suggest, Mr Michael, that your avatar of toothless, premature age, mental lapses, incomprehension, dementia, incoherence, incontinence etc. will be directly related to your choice of diet.

You see, carnivores would not exist if herbivorous diets guaranteed immortality.

Anyhow, "MY CHILD", I will share with you all the secrets of getting to Heaven at the earliest possible opportunity that I know.

1. I've only ever heard of two that have made it to Heaven without " 'fessing up" to a multitude of sins... we're certainly not either of them so 'fessing seems to be the best option.
2.The longer you live the more opportunity you have to rescind your Baptismal Vows, so la-de-da diets that are supposed to make you live forever should be avoided like the plague.

More of my wisdom can be accessed by simply replying to this post. :LOL: ??? :LOL:
(12-02-2014, 12:53 PM)Oldavid Wrote: I suggest, Mr Michael, that your avatar of toothless, premature age, mental lapses, incomprehension, dementia, incoherence, incontinence etc. will be directly related to your choice of diet.

You see, carnivores would not exist if herbivorous diets guaranteed immortality.

Anyhow, "MY CHILD", I will share with you all the secrets of getting to Heaven at the earliest possible opportunity that I know.

1. I've only ever heard of two that have made it to Heaven without " 'fessing up" to a multitude of sins... we're certainly not either of them so 'fessing seems to be the best option.
2.The longer you live the more opportunity you have to rescind your Baptismal Vows, so la-de-da diets that are supposed to make you live forever should be avoided like the plague.

More of my wisdom can be accessed by simply replying to this post. :LOL: ??? :LOL:

LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, Mr. Old, the older I get it seems the further from Heaven I am (for further info about that, please consult my confessor, if you can find him).  My choice of diet is not meant to remedy that situation.  I only want to feel a little better as I inch closer to my grave.  Why?  Now, there's a good question!! :grin:  Some days I have an answer, and some I don't.  There's a big part of me (other than my belly, that is) that just wants to say, "Screw it...I'll eat what I damn well please and as much or little as I choose at any given moment!"  But...Damn that "but"!!!  As long as my dear wife, who suffers me as much as from her physical ailments, is on the planet with me, I feel (at least a tiny bit, anyway) somewhat obligated to be as relatively healthy, for her sake, as I can, and to help her in her sufferings.  If that means eating differently, well, so be it.

Besides, we are now in the period of the Eastern Christian Nativity Fast (I've always been far better at slowing than fasting), so it's a great time to begin. 

I look forward with great anticipation to more of your wisdom.  All mine vanished with those nasty little teeth they removed well over 40 years ago. 
(12-02-2014, 11:55 AM)J Michael Wrote: "My child"?!?!?!?  :O ??? :O :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:  "Oy vey!", said the grandfather.

And I didn't suggest that you recommended that diet to me.  And, I wouldn't have posted about it, saying we were planning on looking in to it and/or doing it if I wasn't going to.  That isn't, what's the phrase you young whippersnappers use today??, "how I roll".

Honey lamb, it sounds like you're not even going to be rolling out of the driveway.
(12-02-2014, 04:23 PM)Clare Brigid Wrote:
(12-02-2014, 11:55 AM)J Michael Wrote: "My child"?!?!?!?  :O ??? :O :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:  "Oy vey!", said the grandfather.

Honey lamb, it sounds like you're not even going to be rolling out of the driveway.

If your snide sounding post means what I think it means:

"Honey lamb"?!?!?!?!?  ??? :O ??? :eyeroll: :eyeroll: :eyeroll:  What's with all the condescending terms of endearment, anyway?  Well, Baby Cakes, not only are we out the driveway (with the "plan"), but we're rollin' down the street.  :P  One block at a time, one day at a time, one week at a time.  Problems?  Questions?