Cookie Suggestions

So this weekend is the weekend the women of my family will get together at my sister's house and bake Christmas cookies. Yaaay! We usually make the ones we've always made, but are wanting to change things up a bit this year. Any tried-and-true suggestions -- particularly of the BAR cookie variety (so much easier to deal with!)? I'd love to hear about any tasty cookie, but bar cookies are just preferred because there's a handful of women making a few types of cookies each, and one, single oven.

Whatever I bake, I have to be easy with the expensive ingredients this time around -- the nuts, dried fruits, almond paste ([Image: sad.gif]), etc. I'm pretty broke.
this Christmas, I'm making:

- Shortbread.  We use a shortbread pan, but you can use a plain 8" cake pan or tart pan, and just cut into wedges.  Another option is you can chill the dough and cut into shapes. I use the King Arthur Flour recipe:

http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/s...ead-recipe

- Cutout Sugar Cookies.  I don't always make these every year, but now with kids, they love to decorate with icing and colored sugar. 

Quote:1 Cup butter, softened
1 Cup granulated white sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1 egg
2 teaspoons baking powder
3 cups all purpose flour

DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350° F.
In the bowl of your mixer cream butter and sugar until smooth.
Beat in extracts and egg.
In a separate bowl combine baking powder with flour and add a little at a time to the wet ingredients. The dough will be very stiff. If it becomes too stiff for your mixer turn out the dough onto a countertop surface. Wet your hands and finish off kneading the dough by hand.
You can chill the dough, but you don't have to.  Divide into workable batches, roll out onto a floured surface and cut. You want these cookies to be on the thicker side (closer to 1/4 inch rather than 1/8).
Bake at 350 for 6-8 minutes. Let cool on the cookie sheet until firm enough to transfer to a cooling rack.

- Kolaczi. Oh my goodness these cookies are good.  Of all the cookies I make, these are the ones that seem to get the most comments.  And they're easier than they look :)

[Image: P1000917.JPG]

Recipe here:  http://www.jerseybites.com/2010/12/polis...bread-men/

- Whirligigs.  Kind of labor intensive, but they are chocolatey and peanut buttery and everyone loves that. 

Quote:  ½ cup shortening
½ cup granulated sugar
½ cup brown sugar
½ cup peanut butter
1 egg
1 ¼ cup flour
½ tsp baking soda
½ tsp salt
6-8 oz chocolate chips, melted

Combine shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar, and peanut butter until fluffy.
Add egg.
Mix in flour, baking soda, and salt.

Dump dough onto wax paper.  Cover with another sheet of wax paper.
Roll into a rectangle  ¼ inch thick.
Melt chocolate and spread on dough.
Roll dough jelly roll style.
Wrap and chill.

Preheat oven to 375.
Run a knife under hot water to warm it, dry it off with a towel, and cut the roll into 1/4 inch slices
Place slices on baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

Bake 10-12 minutes.

Makes 3-4 dozen

If you want something chocolatey and peanut buttery without the work of the whirligigs, the Peanut Butter Blossom recipe on the back of the Hershey Kiss bag is always good, as is this recipe right here (which I have made 1000 times and it is so so good)

http://smittenkitchen.com/blog/2007/12/p...r-cookies/

Oh my... I'm looking at those Kolaczi, though I have no idea how to pronounce them LOL  THANKS, Jubilate!
Not bar cookies, but they don't require baking and are always very popular, and make an easy gift. I'm making these today!

BOURBON BALLS (about 60 1-inch balls)

Sift together in a medium bowl:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa (Hershey's has always been fine for us)

Whisk together until blended:
1/4 cup bourbon
2 tbsp light corn syrup

Stir into the cocoa mixture. Crush in a food processor or electric mixer:
2 1/2 cups vanilla wafers

Mix with:
1 cup coarsely chopped pecans

Stir pecan mixture into the cocoa mixture. Roll into 1-inch balls between your palms (don't have to be even). Roll the balls in:
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Store at room temperature between layers of wax or parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. Believe me, they never last that long. We have in recent years been omitting the pecans because of nut allergies; they are still delicious without them, but note that the yield comes down to ~40 balls without the pecans.
Egg Nog cookies- an easy drop cookie

Mrs. Fields Eggnog Cookies
    2 1/2 cups flour
    1 teaspoon baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
    1 1/4 cups sugar
    3/4 cup butter
    1/2 cup eggnog
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    2 egg yolks
    1 tablespoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 300F. In a medium bowl combine flour, baking
powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. mix well with a wire whisk and
set aside.

In a large bowl, cream sugar and butter with an electric mixer
to form a grainy paste. Add eggnog, vanilla and egg yolks and beat
at medium speed until smooth. Add the dry ingredients and beat
at low speed just until combined. Do not overmix.

Drop by rounded teaspoons onto ungreased baking sheets, 1" apart.
Sprinkle lightly with nutmeg. Bake for 23-25 minutes or until
bottoms turn light brown. Transfer to cool, flat surface
immediately with spatula.
(12-18-2014, 10:21 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: Not bar cookies, but they don't require baking and are always very popular, and make an easy gift. I'm making these today!

1 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup bourbon
2 tbsp light corn syrup

Mix with:

Stir pecan mixture into the cocoa mixture. Roll into 1-inch balls between your palms (don't have to be even). Roll the balls in:
1/2 cup powdered sugar

Store at room temperature between layers of wax or parchment paper in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks. Believe me, they never last that long. We have in recent years been omitting the pecans because of nut allergies; they are still delicious without them, but note that the yield comes down to ~40 balls without the pecans.

That sounds a little dubious, but I'm intrigued. I may give it a try. Thanks for posting!

I'm not sure one can get corn syrup here; is there a substitute you'd suggest, or will it work out fine without?
(12-18-2014, 05:44 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(12-18-2014, 10:21 AM)aquinas138 Wrote: Not bar cookies, but they don't require baking and are always very popular, and make an easy gift. I'm making these today!

1 cup powdered sugar

1/4 cup bourbon
2 tbsp light corn syrup

Mix with:

1/2 cup powdered sugar

That sounds a little dubious, but I'm intrigued. I may give it a try. Thanks for posting!

I'm not sure one can get corn syrup here; is there a substitute you'd suggest, or will it work out fine without?

Honey in equal amounts, though the taste will be different. A cup of light corn syrup could be replaced with 1 cup sugar and 1/4 cup warm water to dissolve; that's probably the safer sub.

Oh, yum! Bourbon and eggnog. It all sounds so seasonally festive, too, all Christmasy! Thanks, guys!