Modern Day Judas Dies
Former New York Governor Mario Cuomo who betrayed Jesus by his changing his stand on abortion and supporting it so he could advance in his political career has met his maker at 82.  Lets see if Cardinal Dolan allows this funeral.
(01-02-2015, 12:36 AM)salus Wrote: Former New York Governor Mario Cuomo who betrayed Jesus by his changing his stand on abortion and supporting it so he could advance in his political career has met his maker at 82. Lets see if Cardinal Dolan allows this funeral.

You speak as if there's a chance that won't happen.  :LOL:
I would imagine he would celebrate it.  For one thing, it would make sense because Dolan is New York's cardinal.  Also, Cardinal Dolan really appears to like being in the spotlight.  I'm sure his picture (or at least his words) will be in every media outlet on the east coast (and quite a few elsewhere too) the next day.  I'm afraid that the esteem of mankind will mean little on the day of judgment.  Cuomo should have been excommunicated in his life and not allowed a Catholic funeral in his death.  I am afraid that those who did not help him will have to answer for a soul entrusted to their care who may very well be lost.  Bishops and priests with true and lasting zeal for souls could have earned his respect and trust and led him back to Christ, but they were more interested in being his buddies.  What a shame.  I'm afraid those who did not do so will have to answer for a soul that may very well be lost.  Pray that they repent of their sins before time also runs out for them.
The real question is, will Dolan invite a gay pride organization to the funeral procession?
(01-02-2015, 02:44 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote: I would imagine he would celebrate it.  For one thing, it would make sense because Dolan is New York's cardinal.  Also, Cardinal Dolan really appears to like being in the spotlight.  I'm sure his picture (or at least his words) will be in every media outlet on the east coast (and quite a few elsewhere too) the next day.  I'm afraid that the esteem of mankind will mean little on the day of judgment.  Cuomo should have been excommunicated in his life and not allowed a Catholic funeral in his death.  I am afraid that those who did not help him will have to answer for a soul entrusted to their care who may very well be lost.  Bishops and priests with true and lasting zeal for souls could have earned his respect and trust and led him back to Christ, but they were more interested in being his buddies.  What a shame.  I'm afraid those who did not do so will have to answer for a soul that may very well be lost.  Pray that they repent of their sins before time also runs out for them.

I understand these sentiments completely.  However, Mario Cuomo was ill for some time and was no doubt aware of his impending end.  He could have confessed, received Extreme Unction, and been absolved, and none of us would have knowledge of that.

And, yes, even though his political stance was public, he has not been a major political player for awhile.  Nevertheless, a man can convert, even in his last moments, and there are some famous examples of this.  Arthur Flegenheimer, aka Dutch Schultz, comes readily to mind.  Ditto for some of the French revolutionaries.  It would be inappropriate for such Catholics to be denied a funeral Mass.

Is anyone here privy to Mario Cuomo's last confession?  Would it be any of our business?

Although it probably won't happen this way, a funeral Mass for Mario Cuomo would be an excellent time to publicly and vociferously expound on the teachings of the Catholic Church regarding abortion and the duties of Catholics, particularly those in public life, and it can be done without insulting the deceased or anyone present.  No doubt it would make not a few uncomfortable, but it could at least get them to think, maybe.

We must pray for his soul, for the souls of Catholics (and others) who take such ungodly stances in their lifetimes, as well as the clergy who have been aiding and abetting the pro-abortionists.  And let us pray for ourselves, that we not be led into the diabolical disorientation that reigns in our time.
In centuries past a public sinner like Cuomo would have been told to make a public repentance because of the damage his stand did to others besides himself. I hope the Archbishop Sheen case remains in New York or Dolan might start championing Cuomo's cause
Requiem aeternam dona ei, Domine, et Lux Perpetua luceat ei. Requiescat in Pace.

Call him Judas when you know his heart - not before.
Defending a public apostate Herorot tells us plenty about your faith too
I think Heorot has the right idea, spiritually speaking. Gossip about someone's apostasy is, after all, still gossip.
(01-04-2015, 12:59 AM)salus Wrote: Defending a public apostate Herorot tells us plenty about your faith too

Salus, the man was a human being before an apostate. I don't doubt that he betrayed our holy Faith by his words and actions. That's plain enough for all to see. What isn't clear is the real motives behind changing his beliefs. Simply "advancing his political career" may be too shallow an assumption. The devil is very subtle.

The only reason I replied in the way I did was that I'm sick of people making rash judgments about the interior lives of people - especially public sinners. Sure, he did things worthy of Hell. I wonder how well-catechized he was. I wonder if he received any faith or encouragement from fellow Catholics.

We always pray in mercy and hope, I think...