Stephen Fry on God with a response
(02-05-2015, 10:17 AM)Renatus Frater Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 09:01 AM)vinceteipsum Wrote: The keyword is "comedian". I just cannot see why Stephen Fry is considered to be an authoritative speaker on religious subjects. Why not also ask some pop stars or supermodels to give their 2 cents?

We live in the age of the mass-man, so anyone who appeals to the masses is considered the new aristocracy. And it goes without saying that they are always (and I say this with absolute objectivity) idiots, regardless of the accent or the wardrobe.

Rereading your response caused me to remember that Peter Hitchens once described Fry as, "A stupid person's idea of what an intelligent person is like."
I have one observation to add to this thread: death is, in itself, because of what it is, such an awful thing that Jesus wept at Lazarus' death, even though he knew he was about to bring him back to life anyway.
(02-05-2015, 10:28 AM)Tantum Ergo Sacramentum Wrote: People will listen to anyone that allows them to live in sin.

That's an awesome way to briefly sum it all up.
(02-05-2015, 08:08 PM)LaramieHirsch Wrote:
(02-05-2015, 10:28 AM)Tantum Ergo Sacramentum Wrote: People will listen to anyone that allows them to live in sin.

That's an awesome way to briefly sum it all up.

And let's not forget that it applies to us too.
As man has replaced God with himself so Fry challenges not God but his own self. It is humanity's capriciousness and fecklessness that leads to such suffering. Without getting into discussions of original sin and the Fall with the likes of Fry it's to point out to him that he's actually questioning himself and to himself he asks "how can I allow these things to happen? How can I create a world where I allow people to fawn at my pretend omniscience while children suffer? Where I pretend omnipotence by doing what I like while poverty racks the world."
You are your own God Mr. Fry and rightly so you ask such questions.

I haven't watched any of the videos (at least not yet), but an analogy I like to use regarding the problem of suffering and evil is that of a little kid with an ice cream cone. Kid drops it and cries and cries, thinking it the emotional equivalent of the end of the world. But the parent, with a grown-up perspective, knows it "ain't nothing but a thang," and that the kid will forget all about it by the next day.

Our suffering, though about a lot more than a mere dropped ice cream come, and though it can run very, very deep, for entire lifetimes even, is still, in the face of eternity and by the reckoning of God, just a "thang." But like the good parent who feels for the kid who's dropped his cone, God also feels with us and doesn't positively will any evil or any suffering. He loves us so much that He sent His Son to take on flesh and die for us, ya know? But still, no matter how moved He might be by our suffering, the bad things we suffer through are still "little things" when contrasted with eternity. We're all just little kids who've dropped our ice cream cones. Some of us, like Fry, apparently, from what I gather from the comments, can't get past it all and, in essence, throw psychological tantrums about it, doing the equivalent of coming to believe that ice cream factories don't exist -- or, if they do, aren't good -- because he's dropped his cone.