Tick removal!!!
I was mowing yesterday and seem to have picked up a lovely tick who has attached himself to my stomach.

What is the best way to get him off?

I have tried hot knives and dousing with rubbing alcohol before, and it hasn't worked well. Should I just pull? I've heard that that causes the head to stay stuck and is not a good idea.

Advice appreciated.

Ya get a pair of tweezers, and grab the tick near it's head as close to your skin as possible.  Don't squeeze tight... the idea is to pull it out alive.  Pull very gently and slowly, allowing the tick to loose it's grasp.  You'll know you got it all out if it's alive and wiggling when you finally get the sucker.
I didn't know little angels could get ticks!? [Image: eric.gif]

Pulling it will get the tick's body parts stuck and will get ya a nice infection.  Ticks carry the sometimes fatal lyme disease. 
Quote:The disease affects humans and a wide range of animals including pets and livestock. Lyme disease manifests itself in many ways and if left untreated may progress through several stages. The disease is difficult to diagnose clinically because early symptoms often mimic the flu (i.e., fatigue, headache, stiffness or pain in neck, muscles or joints, fever, or swollen glands). The most definitive early symptom is a gradually expanding circular or oval-shaped red rash. This rash only develops in about 70% of infected individuals, however, and may be overlooked.

Other diseases ticks spread:
  • Human Anaplasmosis (HA)
    Human anaplasmosis, formerly known as Human Granulocytic Ehrlichiosis (HGE) is a bacterial disease that was first recognized in Minnesota in 1993. It is transmitted to people by deer ticks, the same ticks that transmit Lyme disease. HA is less common than Lyme disease, however.

• Babesiosis
    Babesiosis is a protozoan infection that occurs infrequently in Minnesota. Approximately 20% of patients diagnosed with Babesiosis also have Lyme disease from the same deer tick bite.

• Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever (RMSF)
    Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever is extremely rare in Minnesota, but isolated cases have been reported from the southern section of the state.

• Southern Tick-Associated Rash Illness (STARI)
    CDC; While STARI is not a public health concern in Minnesota, people who travel to the south-central United States may be at risk for the disease. Attention: Non-MDH link

• Human Monocytic Ehrlichiosis
    CDC; Human monocytic ehrlichiosis (HME) is not a public health concern in Minnesota, but residents who travel to the southern United States may be at risk for the disease. Attention: Non-MDH link
Doggy says: Stop tickin me off!

[Image: Tee-LA300.jpg]
[Image: 10458_160.jpg]
As a former Boy Scout, we were always told to use a match tip.

Light the match, then put it out and while its still hot, touch it to the tick. I never actually got a tick so I haven't tested this (use at your own risk!!) :)
Don't try the match.  It's too easy to kill the little thing before you get it out.

You've probably gotten the thing out by now, but I'd add just a couple things to what MissFluffy said.  Get a cotton ball doused in rubbing alcohol and dab him with that first (gets him to relax,) then get as close down to the skin around the head as possible, but right before you squeeze, push down around the skin a tiny bit.  Then, as you squeeze (trying not to squeeze the body but on really tiny ones it's kinda hard, so don't worry if you cant' help it,) then twist slightly counterclockwise as you pull up.  He should pop right out.  Check to see if the head is there (the head is really tiny) and just clean the wound with some antiseptic.  It might itch for a few days, but that's normal.
Ok. I looked into it and no one is mentioning the match thing. Not sure why the Boy Scouts did.

But I did find this:

http://www.anapsid.org/lyme/removingticks.html

From information, it says DON'T twist while trying to remove and Do not apply any substances to the tick before removing it - no alcohol or nail polish, no petroleum jelly or other ointments.

Hope this helps.
Well gosh!  I wonder why the doc told me to do it that way then.  Oh well.  I suppose I should have saved the ticks I found on the kids when we were living in NC too, and had them tested.  Oh well.

Did you get that tick out, Eric?
It may be a demon, you should consult your local exorcist [Image: laff.gif]