Oscar-Winning Holocaust Movie

From Wikipedia:

Ida won the 2014 Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film, becoming the first Polish film to do so. It had earlier been selected as Best Film of 2014 by the European Film Academy and as Best Film Not in the English Language of 2014 by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA).

Plot summary

Movies Plot Wrote:In the 1960s Polish People's Republic, Anna, a young novice nun, is told by her prioress that before she takes her vows she must visit her aunt, Wanda Gruz, who is her only surviving relative. Anna travels to visit her aunt Wanda, a chain-smoking, hard-drinking, sexually promiscuous judge who reveals that Anna's actual name is Ida Lebenstein. Ida's parents had been Jews who were murdered late in the German occupation of Poland during World War II (1939-1945). Ida was then an infant, and as an orphan she'd been raised by the convent. Wanda, who'd been a Communist resistance fighter against the German occupation, had become the state prosecutor "Red Wanda" who sent "men to their deaths". As A. O. Scott has explained, Wanda's role alludes to "the political show trials of the early 1950s, when Poland’s Communist government used judicial terror (among other methods) to consolidate its power and eliminate its enemies."

Wanda tells Ida that she should try some worldly sins and pleasures before she decides to take her vows. She picks up a hitchhiker, Lis, who turns out to be a saxophone player who is going to a gig in the same town. Wanda tries to get Ida interested in Lis, and brings Ida with him to his show, but Ida resists.

Ida wants to find the bodies of her parents. Wanda takes her to the house they were born in and used to own, which is now occupied by a Pole, Feliks Skiba and his family. Wanda had left her family with Feliks' family during the war; the Skibas had hidden the Lebensteins from the German authorities. Wanda, a former prosecutor, demands that Feliks and his father tell her what happened to the Lebensteins. Finally, Feliks agrees to tell them—if Ida promises that they will leave the Skibas alone and give up any claim to the house.

Feliks admits that he took three of the Lebensteins into the woods and killed them. Feliks says that because Ida was very small and able to pass for a Christian, he was able to give her to a convent. But Wanda's small son, whom she'd also left behind, was "dark and circumcised". He couldn't pass for a Christian child, and Feliks had killed him along with Ida's parents. Jeremy Hicks describes some of the possible motivations for Feliks' murders: "The implication is that he killed them for fear that he and his family might be discovered by the Nazis to be hiding Jews, and themselves be killed. But there is so much left unsaid here that the motivations for murder are left obscure. An understanding of Polish wartime history might equally push us towards explaining the murder through Polish anti-Semitism. The perception that Jews had money, and that killing them would enable the murderers to acquire their property, is a motive that is hinted at too."

Feliks takes the women to the burial place in the woods and digs up the bones of their family. Wanda and Ida take the bones to their family burial plot, in an abandoned, overgrown Jewish cemetery in Lublin, and bury them.

Wanda and Ida then part ways and return to their normal existences. Wanda drinks and sleeps around, and Ida returns to the convent to prepare to take her vows. However, both have been profoundly affected by their experience - Ida is visibly unenthusiastic about her life in the convent, and Wanda eventually jumps to her death out of her apartment window. Ida returns to attend Wanda's funeral, where she sees Lis again. At Wanda's apartment, Ida changes out of her nun's habit and into Wanda's stilettos and evening gown, and goes to Lis' gig.

After the show Ida and Lis sleep together. The next morning Lis suggests they get married, have children, and live "life as usual." Ida is unimpressed and leaves, seemingly to return to the convent.

Anybody see this thing?

As an aside, here's a list of movies about the "Holocaust" -- which I put in quotes not because I'm "a denier" (though I'd be considered a "revistionist," and am definitely a "de-mystifier"), but because I think that name is sacrilegious. A "holocaust" is a burnt offering made to God. That isn't what happened back then, and that sort of language gives what happened religious overtones, which is exactly how the Shoah is handled these days -- as a religion, as the centerpiece of post-Temple Judaism, as the centerpiece of History itself, as an event that has the gravity of Christ's birth. I'm surprised there isn't a trend to speak of dates in terms of "A.H." and "B.H." -- "After Holocaust" and "Before Holocaust." From "When Victims Rule" come these quotes:

The 'Holocaust' was "an episode without parallel in history or eschatology," said Lawrence Langer, while Alvin Rosenfeld called it "a major turning point in history and in the history of consciousness."  Emil Fackenheim wrote that the word "Holocaust" is so sacred that "it has seemed to me that this word should be used sparingly lest it be used in vain." George Kren and Leon Rappoport wrote that "the Holocaust was unique because no other event of the modern era has so undercut the moral/humanitarian credibility of western civilization."  Irving Greenberg and Rosenfeld declared that "the Holocaust is an event of such magnitude that it creates a historical force field of its own."

And all of that while non-Jews have been slaughtered just as well, all over the world, sometimes at the hands of Jews -- all of which can be talked about critically, questioned and studied, or even be denied outright without anyone going to prison:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genocides_in_history

Anyway, the plot of that movie set my anti-Catholic radar off. I'd be very curious to see it, but don't want to spend money to do so until I know it's not ragingly anti-Catholic.