Jack Chick on the History of the Church
Or that there's no such thing as an "Egyptian trinity" and even if there was it's definitely not Isis, Horus, and Seb.
(02-27-2015, 10:14 PM)Ave Castitatis Lilium Wrote: Or that there's no such thing as an "Egyptian trinity" and even if there was it's definitely not Isis, Horus, and Seb.

Not only that, but there was a brief period of time that the Egyptian religion was monotheistic. And, considering we have arguments like the Figurists who saw the Truth within the I Ching or that Orthodox book "Christ the Eternal Tao" that sees the Truth within the Tao Te Ching, it's not impossible to make an argument that the Egyptian pharaoh was presenting some sort of foreshadowing.
I was born and raised in South Carolina in the 50's and 60's.  Many of my bible belt baptist and methodist  friends knew nothing of the Catholic Church other than what they read in Jack Chic tracts. I fought those battles often. And amazingly, the mentality still exists to some degree. Especially with the pentacostal sects.
(02-28-2015, 03:39 AM)Farmer88 Wrote:
(02-27-2015, 10:14 PM)Ave Castitatis Lilium Wrote: Or that there's no such thing as an "Egyptian trinity" and even if there was it's definitely not Isis, Horus, and Seb.

Not only that, but there was a brief period of time that the Egyptian religion was monotheistic. And, considering we have arguments like the Figurists who saw the Truth within the I Ching or that Orthodox book "Christ the Eternal Tao" that sees the Truth within the Tao Te Ching, it's not impossible to make an argument that the Egyptian pharaoh was presenting some sort of foreshadowing.

I have that Orthodox book. I've only read bits and pieces but over all I find the thesis fascinating.
(02-27-2015, 08:14 PM)ArturoOrtiz Wrote: It could actually be good to do a series of comics and promote traditional Catholicism

Seconded. Since we are on this topic, perhaps I can write a short story promoting traditional Catholicism, and someone skilled in drawing can use my story...

N.

PS: Not a talented writer, I know. But someone's got to do it...
Jack Chick has been described as the greatest comic artist in history, and I appreciate his works as such. They are often profoundly unsettling, dealing with sexual perversion, grotesque violence, and existential dread. They go beyond controversial, and they have been banned as hate speech in Canada, as well as in South Africa during the apartheid regime. In addition, major distributors of Christian literature and Christian book stores have banned his works.

Beginning in the late 60s, and especially during the 70s, Chick tracts were prominent in American popular culture, and were distributed by Evangelicals just about everywhere people could be expected to congregate: at airports, university campuses, and suchlike. His style of pamphleteering has been incredibly influential, and despite his complete lack of tact and a tendency to rant at times (the characters shrink down to heads and the panels fill up with giant text bubbles), he has probably done a lot to reach people and get them to turn to Jesus. At the same time, though, smug atheist sorts have their hearts hardened against the Gospel, and dismiss Christians altogether, on the basis of such things.

Still, a growing number of people are recognizing the comics as culturally significant Americana, fun to read, and there are even collectors. A few years ago, a documentary was produced on the artist (who refuses to be interviewed or photographed) and his works:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1236451/

[Image: Dark%20Dungeons.bmp]

At 90 years old, Jack Chick is still active! Jack T. Chick, LLC published its latest tract only in January!

Here is an article from Chick's website, describing evangelical work in India:
http://www.chick.com/articles/is-a-windo...-india.asp
(02-26-2015, 07:04 PM)Vox Clamantis Wrote:
[Image: jackchick8.jpg]

I particularly like the tick box at the end of these tracts.
While Chick's tracts are grossly inaccurate and silly, misrepresenting Rome, they also have a mirror-effect of misrepresenting Protestants. I seriously doubt that Protestants in general (outside America) believe any of his stuff.

The Magisterial Reformation people are quite different from the Radicals. Lumping "Prots" together as if they were one big super-group only makes us look as stupid as Chick. He certainly is a radical, not magisterial.

I like reading his stuff, though. It's kind of fascinating to see how people view things. He often does approach difficult subjects, too, as Cyriacus said.
I used to collect Chick Tracks. I wished that I still had my collection. One of the funniest tracks is one that features the men of Sodom as, how shall I put this, leather daddies. Anyway...

For as loony as they may seem, at least Mr. Chick is acting according to whatever dim light he has. I must admit that coming upon "This Was Your Life" as young boy got me to thinking about the Final Judgment in way that I had not at that point in my life. Regularly, when I would do something that I knew to be wrong, I would have frightening images of God playing back my life as movie for all to see. If only I still had only the sins of boyhood for which to give an account.
(03-01-2015, 11:01 AM)Heorot Wrote: While Chick's tracts are grossly inaccurate and silly, misrepresenting Rome, they also have a mirror-effect of misrepresenting Protestants. I seriously doubt that Protestants in general (outside America) believe any of his stuff.

The Magisterial Reformation people are quite different from the Radicals. Lumping "Prots" together as if they were one big super-group only makes us look as stupid as Chick. He certainly is a radical, not magisterial.

I like reading his stuff, though. It's kind of fascinating to see how people view things. He often does approach difficult subjects, too, as Cyriacus said.

Although he sure seems to give off a Calvinist vibe, and they were a "Magisterial Reformation" group. But in general, they went off the deep end very quickly. Especially when Calvin took Zwingli serious. At least Calvin had SOME sort of profession about the Real Presence in the Eucharist, Zwingli had none whatsoever.