No Christians Were Beheaded
(03-01-2015, 12:11 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(02-28-2015, 12:48 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: It's just sad really, I mean, Copts have held onto the same faith they were given for literally over a thousand years before any form of Protestantism was even a thought in the mind of some heretic.  To claim that the Copts are not Christians betrays a level of ignorance of history that just beggars the imagination. I'm speechless but not surprised.

Their explanation is the great apostasy.

So various Christian groups from across the known world, in a time when communication and travel were exceedingly time consuming and difficult, all apostatized at exactly the same time in exactly the same ways. And then these same groups maintained these exact same erroneous beliefs despite not being in communion with each other in some cases for over 1500 years. I mean that makes perfect sense to me..........
(03-01-2015, 02:27 PM)Silouan Wrote:
(03-01-2015, 12:11 PM)Dirigible Wrote:
(02-28-2015, 12:48 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: It's just sad really, I mean, Copts have held onto the same faith they were given for literally over a thousand years before any form of Protestantism was even a thought in the mind of some heretic.  To claim that the Copts are not Christians betrays a level of ignorance of history that just beggars the imagination. I'm speechless but not surprised.

Their explanation is the great apostasy.

So various Christian groups from across the known world, in a time when communication and travel were exceedingly time consuming and difficult, all apostatized at exactly the same time in exactly the same ways. And then these same groups maintained these exact same erroneous beliefs despite not being in communion with each other in some cases for over 1500 years. I mean that makes perfect sense to me..........

Now you've got it. Remember, Bible only, brother!
The SSPX denied that the Copts were martyrs and Christians:

http://sspx.org/en/can-we-say-martyrs-21-copts-isis

"The question which we raise is whether a non-Catholic can die in defense of the Catholic Faith which he does not embrace? The question seems answers in the asking. Hence, it is not only imprudent but dangerous to the true Faith to publicly give to manifest heretics the tag of martyrs."
(03-01-2015, 09:27 PM)1seeker Wrote: The SSPX denied that the Copts were martyrs and Christians:

http://sspx.org/en/can-we-say-martyrs-21-copts-isis

"The question which we raise is whether a non-Catholic can die in defense of the Catholic Faith which he does not embrace? The question seems answers in the asking. Hence, it is not only imprudent but dangerous to the true Faith to publicly give to manifest heretics the tag of martyrs."

Well I don't agree. I would hope and I would expect at least the EO Patriarch of Alexandria to add them to the calendar. That being said I don't think the person you linked is saying they are not Christian, but rather the RCC shouldn't canonize them.
The SSPX article denies that they're martyrs for three reasons:
1. They're not Catholic. One cannot be a martyr for the One True Faith if one does not believe in it.
2. It is unclear if they were truly killed because they were Christians.
3. It is unclear if all of them willingly accepted (rather than forced into) death for the sake of Christ.