Poll: What is your preferred architectural style in building churches?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
0%
0 0%
Total 0 vote(s) 0%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Preferred Architectural Style
(03-04-2015, 04:49 PM)rasbat Wrote: The most over the top decadent late gothic architecture. rayonnant and flamboyant late medieval gothic structures especially. all of that "visual frosting" as I heard one lecturer call it is amazing. The more it resembles a visual circus in stone and glass the better it is for me. One more reason I cannot stand the minimalism of modern structures that resmble drab factory floors. Almost all of the nice churches in this region are turn of the century neo-gothic as that is what was popular when the area was settled. Seeing those all of my childhood and life the gothic style is just what a church should look like to me. It is the stock image that comes to mind upon any mention of a church. That being said there is something very nice about the cavernesque qualities of real romanesque churches.

I think that's why I like Gothic churches (and why Baroque style was my top choice).  Those styles are "cluttered."  Those styles "overdo it."  In other words, they speak loudly against a culture that likes to spend lots of money, but turns around and is cautious about doing "too much" for God.
I kind of like minimalist modern style. Lots of whites. That Orthodox church they're building in New York looks amazing. If I were an architect I'd add art deco and art nouveau themes with a touch of byzantine iconography. I've got a beautiful nouveau altar in my mind I'd love to be able to make. Looks like something out of Lord of the Rings. The artists who did the costume and set design for the films were brilliant at creating a modern traditional style.
There's also a Hungarian architect who inspired the set design for the Romulans on Star Trek TNG, but his name escapes me.
(03-05-2015, 08:33 AM)Credidi Propter Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 04:49 PM)rasbat Wrote: The most over the top decadent late gothic architecture. rayonnant and flamboyant late medieval gothic structures especially. all of that "visual frosting" as I heard one lecturer call it is amazing. The more it resembles a visual circus in stone and glass the better it is for me. One more reason I cannot stand the minimalism of modern structures that resmble drab factory floors. Almost all of the nice churches in this region are turn of the century neo-gothic as that is what was popular when the area was settled. Seeing those all of my childhood and life the gothic style is just what a church should look like to me. It is the stock image that comes to mind upon any mention of a church. That being said there is something very nice about the cavernesque qualities of real romanesque churches.

I think that's why I like Gothic churches (and why Baroque style was my top choice).  Those styles are "cluttered."  Those styles "overdo it."  In other words, they speak loudly against a culture that likes to spend lots of money, but turns around and is cautious about doing "too much" for God.
Try the Plateresque, a transitional style from Gothic to Renaissance. Gee, I should have added "Transitional styles"
(03-05-2015, 12:03 PM)Old_Sarum Wrote: I kind of like minimalist modern style. Lots of whites. That Orthodox church they're building in New York looks amazing. If I were an architect I'd add art deco and art nouveau themes with a touch of byzantine iconography. I've got a beautiful nouveau altar in my mind I'd love to be able to make. Looks like something out of Lord of the Rings. The artists who did the costume and set design for the films were brilliant at creating a modern traditional style.
There's also a Hungarian architect who inspired the set design for the Romulans on Star Trek TNG, but his name escapes me.
Well, as I've said it, there is a charm that lies in some modern works, such as Art Deco, Art Nouveau and such. But they should not overdo it.

N.
Decadent style Gothic? Oh, I am thinking of Sainte Chappelle, York Minster or Westminster Abbey. I like that style of Gothic. While the Early Gothic has its charm, I am more of a Decorated or Perpendicular type of Gothic architecture lover. And I have an eclectic taste. I like the French severity, rose windows and height, English ceilings and windows, and Spanish specialty of flat roofs and "Mudejar" elements.

N.

(03-05-2015, 12:08 PM)Neopelagianus Wrote: Decadent style Gothic? Oh, I am thinking of Sainte Chappelle, York Minster or Westminster Abbey. I like that style of Gothic. While the Early Gothic has its charm, I am more of a Decorated or Perpendicular type of Gothic architecture lover. And I have an eclectic taste. I like the French severity, rose windows and height, English ceilings and windows, and Spanish specialty of flat roofs and "Mudejar" elements.

N.

Wait! A perfect combination for a new SketchUp cathedral design. Stay tuned folks.

N.
(03-04-2015, 12:20 PM)formerbuddhist Wrote: I like those homely old stone churches like you see in parts of the British isles. I also like the simplicity of the 12th century Cistercians and the old wooden churches from parts of Russia. Simple is better.  For me it comes down to keeping it simple yet beautiful. I prefer icons, frescos and mosaics to statues but I love stained glass, dark stony interiors and a kind of homey feel.  I like it to smell like incense, candles and the mustiness of centuries. The closest I can get to this sort of thing is the Shrine of our Lady of La Leche over in St. Augustine, only I wish there was a better altar. Architecturally for me it's perfect, simple, stony,dark, largely unadorned.
Our Earthquake Baroque Churches might be of interest to you. The facde seemed to imitate the glorious facades of European Baroque churches, but in a limited and constrained manner. The churches are also mostly unadorned (here speaking in regards to simple provincial parishes and "visitas", the churches of Intramuros and other larger cities are a different matter) probably except for the High Altar.

N.
Gothic the best. No doubt about it.
(03-05-2015, 11:40 PM)Eduard Bodnar Wrote: Gothic the best. No doubt about it.

Well, it is after all THE " Western Christian architecture". No other architectural style can proximate the Gothic. It is Western Christian, and no other non-Christian religion adopted its proportions and looks.

N.