Good topic to write about?
I can't remember the primary sources off hand, but I read about them, and the rest of the history, several years ago.  You'll be able to dig them all up with a little research.

This topic also brings to mind a barn burner of a sermon by Fr. McAfee at St. John the Beloved in McLean, VA at the traditional Mass there.  (I would attend while visiting my best friend from college, now a teacher at an Opus Dei prep school for boys.)  Fr. McAfee preached on this very topic.  He ended by recounting the failure of the U.S. bishops, before Emancipation, to respond to clear papal teaching prohibiting chattel slavery.  I'll never forget this line:  "And why is it that the American bishops did not follow the popes' teaching?  BECAUSE THEY WERE COWARDS!!!!"

If you can dig the sermon up here, you'll never regret the effort to find it:  http://tallguyav.com/stjhomilies.html

It was probably in 2010 or 2011.

Hope you learn a lot from this topic, if you choose it, and show how the Church was at the forefront of opposition to chattel slavery.  (And yes, it would be fine, I think, to generalize to the Church as a whole, but it's only a six page paper.)

Messages In This Thread
Good topic to write about? - by ArturoOrtiz - 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by ArturoOrtiz - 03-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Poche - 03-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Poche - 03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Neopelagianus - 03-04-2015, 01:12 AM