Good topic to write about?
Not to be a spoilsport, but while it is certainly true that certain popes opposed the slave trade, I am not sure that one can really say that the Church as a whole was ever really a consistent or outspoken opponent of either slavery in general or the slave trade in particular. Pius IX, for instance, asserted that slavery was not against the natural law, though I don't know if he ever said anything about chattel slavery. I think any paper on the subject would have to take this ambiguity into account. With this example in mind, and while I am certainly sympathetic to the claim that we should have some sort of ideal of Christian scholarship rather than falling back on some mythical secular objectivity, I am not sure that one should really look at the writing of a history paper as an opportunity to evangelize in an explicit way, especially when writing about the history of the Church, which is not always the best advertisement for the Catholic faith and must be dealt with in its complexity.

That said, I think addressing the development of the modern state would be a good opportunity to challenge many modern assumptions about the relationship between politics, religion, and violence. It might be a big topic, but you could also look at the conflicts between Europe and the Ottoman Empire and how the ideals of Christendom and the Crusade fared in early modern Europe. I'm sure you can make just about anything that you find interesting into a suitable topic for a paper, though.

Messages In This Thread
Good topic to write about? - by ArturoOrtiz - 03-03-2015, 03:18 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015, 04:42 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by ArturoOrtiz - 03-03-2015, 06:32 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Clare Brigid - 03-03-2015, 07:30 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Crusading Philologist - 03-03-2015, 09:43 PM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Poche - 03-04-2015, 12:27 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Poche - 03-04-2015, 12:29 AM
Re: Good topic to write about? - by Neopelagianus - 03-04-2015, 01:12 AM