Why oh why?
Why do I try. It seems to happen in cycles. I hang around Fisheaters, OnePeterFive, reading Ann Barnhardt, reading John Senior, watching Church Militant Vids....... Remnant........then I realize I am getting a bit big in the britches area regarding pride, rash judgments...etc,  and do a crazy swing towards left of middle and go back to CAF and stop reading the above and start reading ugh......Mark Shea........ say it isn't so.

Well after coming across this delightful nugget of a thread  http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=949685

After putting in my 2 pennies about T. C. Dolan, I was docked 10 points...........uh oh.

Then after putting up a poll regarding the moderator accusing me of having "contempt for the Clergy" ..... I logged in a bit later and got this.

Your account has been locked for the following reason:
Discussing moderator activity and put up a poll as well to get feed back.

This change will be lifted: Apr 9, '15, 9:00 am

So I just want to say I am back and thank you Vox for never ever docking me points or locking my account or even threatening to ban or banning me for having issues with some of the clergy and certainly not accusing me of having contempt for those who are ordained that I expect better from.

Side note here........anyone have any thoughts on how to get me settled? That is not allowing myself to be swayed so quickly to the religious right or left?

Maybe books or Sts. to emulate?
(03-09-2015, 11:57 AM)PompousMaximus Wrote: Why do I try. It seems to happen in cycles. I hang around Fisheaters, OnePeterFive, reading Ann Barnhardt, reading John Senior, watching Church Militant Vids....... Remnant........then I realize I am getting a bit big in the britches area regarding pride, rash judgments...etc,  and do a crazy swing towards left of middle and go back to CAF and stop reading the above and start reading ugh......Mark Shea........ say it isn't so.

Well after coming across this delightful nugget of a thread  http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=949685

After putting in my 2 pennies about T. C. Dolan, I was docked 10 points...........uh oh.

Then after putting up a poll regarding the moderator accusing me of having "contempt for the Clergy" ..... I logged in a bit later and got this.

So I just want to say I am back and thank you Vox for never ever docking me points or locking my account or even threatening to ban or banning me for having issues with some of the clergy and certainly not accusing me of having contempt for those who are ordained that I expect better from.

Side note here........anyone have any thoughts on how to get me settled? That is not allowing myself to be swayed so quickly to the religious right or left?

God has no right or left, except when it comes to the proverbial goats and sheep, that is.

Some people, like me, are slow to learn.  Seems we may have something in common  :).

All saints, by the very nature of their saintliness, are worth emulating.  Two I particularly like, amongst a host of others, are St. Ephraim the Syrian and St. Seraphim of Sarov.

(03-09-2015, 11:57 AM)PompousMaximus Wrote: Side note here........anyone have any thoughts on how to get me settled? That is not allowing myself to be swayed so quickly to the religious right or left?

Read the Gospels every day, preferably using the method of lectio divina.

It may help you to read a comment I left on Disqus last year in response to an article by Fr. Longnecker:

Quote:I'm afraid I disagree with you, Fr. Longnecker, about traditionalism being simply one legitimate preference among many, at least insofar as this movement embraces the traditional Latin Mass. While I accept the Novus Ordo (the "Ordinary Form") as Catholic, I do think the traditional Latin Mass (the "Extraordinary Form") is objectively superior in conveying a sense of the sacred. It might even communicate more grace, all things being equal, because it helps people to be more disposed to receive those graces. That does not mean that I consider the Ordinary Form to be "evil." Not at all. I still attend it when I must, but it just feels very horizontal, bland and flat to me, even at its most reverent.

On the other hand, I think traditionalism, as a movement, harbors elements that make it more pernicious than your irenic, tolerant approach would suggest.

I have had ample experience of traditionalism, including several years at an SSPX chapel. I noticed many of the pathologies identified by others in these comments, so much so that I refuse to call myself a traditionalist. It's not a black-and-white situation, though, as far as I'm concerned. In other words, I won't say, "it's all good." It's not. What's good is really, really good. I would say it's necessary for the Church. Even critically so. But what's bad is really bad. I mean pharisaism, neglect and even hostility toward the spiritual and corporal works of mercy, conspiracism, apocalypticism, and other unfortunate strains.

I don't take the "big tent" view that you do. I think we need, rather, to understand what a "meat-and-potatoes" Catholicism looks like. I think it looks like a Mass that really helps people to pray by leading them more deeply within, to their spiritual heart, where, in fact, they connect more surely and powerfully with their fellow Catholics than handholding or hugging can achieve. It looks like a Church that emphasizes the spiritual and corporal works of mercy, to the point of laying down one's life, just as Pope Francis has been emphasizing. It looks like an insistence on the centrality of Jesus Christ and the absolute necessity of belief in Him. For me, respected writers like Bl. Columba Marmion teach this kind of Catholicism. We don't need more Balkanization and tribalism, although the Church has always accepted and even fostered diverse spiritualities.

I think the way around the tribalism, whether it is on the "left "or the "right," is to focus on the Gospel. Read the Gospel every day, preferably praying it in lectio divina. When "trads" read the Gospels, they will hear Our Lord's warnings against elevating certain styles of religiosity above all else. They see His emphasis on humility, mercy toward others, and faith. When progressives read the Gospels, they will be confronted by Our Lord's insistence on faith in Himself and His emphasis on the Cross -- dying to oneself, which means that life is not a hootenanny and the Church is not a mere NGO.

As St. John Chrysostom preached, we should worship the Holy Trinity in the beauty of holiness, receiving Our Lord in the Blessed Sacrament, and then serve Him in those in need, partaking of the Sacrament of the Brother.

Unity is found in depth.

Specifically, I recommend reading -- and really digesting -- Christ the Life of the Soul by Bl. Columba Marmion.
(03-09-2015, 11:57 AM)PompousMaximus Wrote: Why do I try. It seems to happen in cycles. I hang around Fisheaters, OnePeterFive, reading Ann Barnhardt, reading John Senior, watching Church Militant Vids....... Remnant........then I realize I am getting a bit big in the britches area regarding pride, rash judgments...etc,  and do a crazy swing towards left of middle and go back to CAF and stop reading the above and start reading ugh......Mark Shea........ say it isn't so.

Consider your run-in with the CAF moderators a badge of honor.  CAF appears to be more interested in impressing high-ranking clergy and religious rather than in defending Christ and His Church from those who attack it from within.  CAF has a double standard.  They'll rip people apart if they're outside the Church, or are Catholic lay people who aren't living as Catholics, but go after someone they like and watch out.  I remember one post on there that said homosexual acts are the one sin that the cross doesn't cover (so if you do it, you're beyond the possibility of redemption).  That post was not removed, and that poster was not banned for it, even though I reported it several times.  Another post- by a different person- referred to priests assisting undocumented immigrants as "ministers of hell."  That post is still there, even though I reported that one several more times- and the member- though he probably got an infraction and never posted again- has not been banned and was never suspended.  However those were addressed privately, they were public posts- the lack of public action on CAF's part suggests that they at least accept those things in the name of tolerance.  Tolerance for those things, yet expressing concerns about Pope Francis, expressing concerns about how a certain religious order may be committing liturgical abuses in their efforts to form their novices, or expressing concerns over the many media blunders of Cardinal Dolan are unacceptable.  It wasn't unacceptable when people were saying my beloved bishop should resign (because he behaved more like a father than a CEO).  CAF has caused serious damage to the faith of at least one person I know, and no doubt many others as well.  They go in thinking they will be able to have serious, honest discussion about Catholicism and get shot down by a bunch of Pharisees (some of whom are moderators) because they feel threatened by what they have to say.

As for saints for inspiration...

St Joan of Arc was condemned a heretic by the bishops of her political enemies.  They're nobodies now.  She is a saint.

St. John Fisher was the only bishop to stand up to Henry VIII when his cowardly brother bishops gave in to his demands and sold Our Lady's Dowry (a traditional name for England) to the prince of this world.  Who were those other bishops?  Who cares?

St. John of the Cross was imprisoned by his brothers in religion as he was trying to reform the Carmelites.  Now, he is a doctor of the Church, and those who imprisoned him are?...

St. John Bosco was routinely accused of not having decorum, of being a revolutionary, and of being an anti-revolutionary during the establishment of the Italian State.  People tried to put him in an insane asylum, people beat him up, and many others just simply weren't very nice to him.  In The Priest is Not His Own, Ven. Fulton J. Sheen wrote "A newly ordained French priest received a visit from a strange priest of another nationality.  The visitor, being unkempt, he was given a poor room in the attic.  The French priest lived to see that visitor canonized as Don Bosco.  On learning of the canonization, he reflected: "If I had known he was a saint, I would have given him a better room."  He didn't want to be a revolutionary or anything.  He just wanted to help the boys who had fallen through the cracks of society know that they are loved and that they are called to holiness- to life in Christ.
The unabridged Dialogue of St. Catherine of Siena is a great remedy for being tossed to and fro when things in the Church are less stable.

I say unabridged because that one includes a lot more about all the bad stuff clergy were doing and how to properly respond to it, how not to fall into going along with the bad stuff, but yet not become someone just throwing stones.  I think the most common unabridged version is the Classics of Western Spirituality edition from Paulist Press (the most common older version, translated by Algor Thorold, is actually heavily abridged).