"Denied Communion on the Tongue at My Grandmother’s Funeral…"
I've met priests with this attitude too :( I was raised at a NO parish, and the priest there publicly mocked me during mass when I started receiving on the tongue. I'm so glad I have an FSSP parish close to home!
Disgusting.
(03-11-2015, 05:12 PM)Uxi Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 02:55 PM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 01:31 PM)Uxi Wrote: While I should preface that I prefer Communion kneeling and on the tongue, I would choose spiritual communion over demanding form according to my preference and making a scene, especially at a requiem or funeral.

I think you are rubbing salt in the wound. It is illegal for a priest to deny someone Holy Communion kneeling and on the tongue. It has nothing to do with preference.

Absolutely.  Demanding ones rights and making a scene at a funeral would be inappropriate, at best, and usually puerile.  The laity have the right to present themselves for Communion but recall how in the TLM the priest is not obligated to administer Communion to the faithful for the vast majority of the year and can go straight from his own Communion to the ablutions (which is, btw, exactly what the Missal does, the Communion of the people is a separate rite that was done AFTER Mass  in the old days, as is often still done with the choir in more than a few TLM parishes today).
Are these people Jansenists?
(03-11-2015, 05:12 PM)Uxi Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 02:55 PM)Miles Immaculatae Wrote:
(03-11-2015, 01:31 PM)Uxi Wrote: While I should preface that I prefer Communion kneeling and on the tongue, I would choose spiritual communion over demanding form according to my preference and making a scene, especially at a requiem or funeral.

I think you are rubbing salt in the wound. It is illegal for a priest to deny someone Holy Communion kneeling and on the tongue. It has nothing to do with preference.

Absolutely.  Demanding ones rights and making a scene at a funeral would be inappropriate, at best, and usually puerile.  The laity have the right to present themselves for Communion but recall how in the TLM the priest is not obligated to administer Communion to the faithful for the vast majority of the year and can go straight from his own Communion to the ablutions (which is, btw, exactly what the Missal does, the Communion of the people is a separate rite that was done AFTER Mass  in the old days, as is often still done with the choir in more than a few TLM parishes today).
Cardinal Sarah would agree with you about the idea of making a scene during the mass;

Cardinal Robert Sarah argued strongly in favor of reverence in the liturgy, but also cautioned against an adversarial approach to “liturgical war,” in an exclusive interview with Aleteia.

The prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship said that Vatican II had never intended the abolition of the traditional Mass. At the same time, he said, the Church must pursue the liturgical renewal that the Council envisioned. He suggested that if the liturgy is celebrated with reverence, “an understanding will certainly be reached.”

In the Aleteia interview, the cardinal also expressed his full support and confidence in Pope Francis, dismissing the notion that the Pontiff would change Church teaching on marriage. “Personally, I fully trust him and I encourage all Christians to do the same,” he said.

On another topic, Cardinal Sarah said that the groundswell of public support for marriage in France had been “an expression of fidelity to the Church and to the faith.” Although the movement failed to meet its immediate goal, when the country’s government pushed forward to recognize same-sex marriage, the African cardinal disputed the idea that the public demonstrations had failed. “Christ also apparently failed,” he remarked.

http://www.catholic culture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=24263l