Francis' Latest: Denies Dogma on Hell
(03-31-2015, 05:17 AM)jhfromsf68 Wrote: I understand that lay people shouldn't become obsessive over theses kind of things and should rather concentrate on their own spiritual growth but I believe there should be a balance. Conservative and Traditional Catholics put a heavy emphasis on the Papacy and the how vital it is being in union with the Pope. The Holy Father has the ultimate teaching authority in the Church, that we can all agree on. Yes you should pray and read holy books and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, but if their is heresy being taught by the highest authorities in the Church it should definitely be exposed and fought against. I don't see any reason you can't do both.

Its a little disingenuous to place such a high importance on the papacy and being in communion with the present Pope and to consider him to be your supreme teacher and then turn around and advise people to pretend like he doesn't exist and just read the lives of saints and pray the Rosary. I know it may a coping mechanism but its ultimately not helping the Church

While, I generally agree with most of what you wrote..... Ultimately prayer always helps the Church.
(03-31-2015, 05:17 AM)jhfromsf68 Wrote: I understand that lay people shouldn't become obsessive over theses kind of things and should rather concentrate on their own spiritual growth but I believe there should be a balance. Conservative and Traditional Catholics put a heavy emphasis on the Papacy and the how vital it is being in union with the Pope. The Holy Father has the ultimate teaching authority in the Church, that we can all agree on. Yes you should pray and read holy books and work out your own salvation with fear and trembling, but if their is heresy being taught by the highest authorities in the Church it should definitely be exposed and fought against. I don't see any reason you can't do both.

Its a little disingenuous to place such a high importance on the papacy and being in communion with the present Pope and to consider him to be your supreme teacher and then turn around and advise people to pretend like he doesn't exist and just read the lives of saints and pray the Rosary. I know it may a coping mechanism but its ultimately not helping the Church

And here lies the problem. How do you know that the Pope is teaching heresy? First of all you have to decide by your own reasoning that it is heresy then you must accept the source as truthful, if it is an online source. This is a twofold problem, first of all because we should not always trust ourselves and second of all because we shouldn't trust the online media especially when we know they are full of it (like Scalfari, etc.). You may waste your time attacking phantoms and making the Holy Father appear to be the worst heretic ever without him actually being so, this would do great harm to the Church mind you (that is, to souls). It would also give credit to the author of such an article (like Scalfari) to make it appear as though he is a truthful source of information about Catholicism and it would promote Catholics to listen to people like him.

I would rather leave it alone for obvious reasons.
Forgive me if this point has already been made, but the first and last pages looked pretty simlar so I didn't read the intervening pages...

Mother Teresa said something along the lines if we are called to do what is right, and the outcome is not in our hands.

Might it not be that Pope Francis is doing what is right, regardless of the outcme? He talks to people, he calls them, he discusses things... this is important, isn't it?

If others do the wrong thing with this, misunderstand the Pope, "slant" what he said, that is not on the Pope. That's on the people.

Should the Pope stop doing what he believes or is or is told by God is what he is supposed to do in fear or what might happen afterwards? I don't think so!