Ghostly presence
Regarding the book 'Meditations on the Tarot' it is an open secret that its author is a man called Valentin Tomberg. A search on the internet will provide information about his background in theosophic, anthroposophic and occult lore.

Far from being Catholic as it claims to be - and as others claim it to be - the book is profoundly heterodox. There is no such thing as Catholic esotericism, that is a gnostic idea. 

In Catholicism everyone - rich, poor, young, old, stupid, clever, and so on - has access to the sacred mysteries, and they all recite their assent to those mysteries - otherwise known as articles of Faith - at Mass in the Creed. It is all there. There are no more mysteries to which maybe only the "inner circle" have access. The Gospel has this to say in Mat 11:25. "At that time Jesus answered and said: I confess to thee, O Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because thou hast hid these things from the wise and prudent, and hast revealed them to the little ones."

One example of the heterodoxy found in 'Meditations on the Tarot' is its blasphemy of the Holy Trinity. It puts forth the idea of a 'bi-polar Trinity' also called the 'luminous Holy Trinity'. What is this 'bi-polar Trinity', the perception of which is regarded as a higher sort of wisdom in the book? It is the union of Father-Son-Holy Spirit with Mother-Daughter-Holy Soul, and is symbolised by the hexagram. The roots of the idea of such a union are to be found in the Zohar, which is a work central to the teachings of the Kabbalah (Madonna will be pleased!)     

Another example of heterodoxy in the book is the twisting of the love that Catholics have for Mary into something else completely. First of all it states that Catholics already disregard dogmatic theology concerning the difference between 'the celestial Father and Mother' and love and honour both equally. It then looks forward to a time in the future when there will be 'the birth of the dogma raising maternal love to the level of the Holy Trinity'. How does this square with the humility of Mary? Answer: it doesn't.     

There are many more examples of heterodoxy, but I hope these two will suffice to alert faithful Catholics to the deceitful claims of this book. The Catholic Church has from time immemorial taught its members to steer clear of occultism in general, and the Tarot in particular.

On the eve of the Feast of the Annunciation let us remember what Mary said: "My soul doth magnify the Lord. And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. Because he hath regarded the humility of his handmaid; for behold from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed."
(03-24-2015, 06:23 AM)TerraMariana Wrote: Far from being Catholic as it claims to be - and as others claim it to be - the book is profoundly heterodox. There is no such thing as Catholic esotericism, that is a gnostic idea. 

It's certainly not for everyone.

Here is a review of the book from Ignatius Press.
Could also be that your co-worker is schizophrenic or making the story up.

It's fascinating how Catholics take such stories at face value and immediately bring out the tarot, exorcism, ghosts, and such. Demons don't aim to "spook" us; they aim to damn us. A person in purgatory would probably not be interested in slamming doors and making odd noises. Presumably he'd be more worried about getting the hell out of purgatory.
(03-24-2015, 09:28 AM)Heorot Wrote: Could also be that your co-worker is schizophrenic or making the story up.

It's fascinating how Catholics take such stories at face value and immediately bring out the tarot, exorcism, ghosts, and such. Demons don't aim to "spook" us; they aim to damn us. A person in purgatory would probably not be interested in slamming doors and making odd noises. Presumably he'd be more worried about getting the hell out of purgatory.

On the other hand, if it is a soul in purgatory, the odd noises tactic is working: it gave a lot of people in the thread the impulse to pray for them!
I would avoid that Tarot stuff and stick with the teachings of the Catholic Church; it sounds way to superstitious, pagan and heterodox.

When a person dies they do not linger around but they are immediately judged to Heaven or Hell, the Church teaches this as the particular judgment and that everyone is subject to it. It makes no sense then to say that a soul is lost and cannot be found, or is simply not moving on but is lingering around. It is not up to the soul to linger about nonsensically but he is subject to the judgment of God and will go where God assigns him according to what he has done; to Heaven or to Hell.

St. Thomas Aquinas basically says that a person could travel from Heaven, Hell or Purgatory to other places should God allow him.

If this spirit were from Heaven then it would be clear and concise, not there to confuse or to scare people. Even the angelic spirits always said, "Do not be afraid."

If it were from purgatory then surely the person would ask for prayers and/or would be there just as a Heavenly spirit because it is still a Saint, a friend of God.

If it were from Hell, such as a damned person then surely it would deliver a message that hell is real and people go there. I read a story awhile back about a visit a woman had from her husband who was in hell and he was burning, he left a burnt hand print on a door. This was a sign for her to repent and she did.

I Chalk this up to demonic activity. The demons are the ones who love to confuse and create chaos. And I think Vox is right that God is using this situation as an opportunity to bring the true faith into the house.

Not to long ago I had a non-Catholic friend tell me that she was hearing a spirit in her house and that it moved about like a shadow, that it tried to speak to her and sounded like a human. She thought that maybe it was just a lost soul (never moved on, etc.). My reasoning went like this, if it were of God then it would not be there trying to confuse you and it would not be acting the way you describe, that and souls are immediately judged by God. When I went over there to help her she said, "Lets call upon this spirit and see if it answers." I said, "Hell no. If you try to do that then I'm gone."

I hung a crucifix up in her house and I prayed in the house. She never had a problem after that... Whether it was only in her in her imagination or whether it was really a demon gong through her house or just tempting her in her intellect, the problem left her.

My parents described a similar situation where they were seeing this black hovering shadow type of character outside there house. They hung a crucifix up close to where it appeared and it has never been back since.

Just my thoughts and experiences.

And, I don't believe in ghost in any worldly sense. I think much that passes off for ghost, if it is genuine type of supernatural activity, is simply demonic activity there to confuse and scare people. If the spirit were of God the first thing it would probably say is, "Do not be afraid."
(03-24-2015, 09:28 AM)Heorot Wrote: Could also be that your co-worker is schizophrenic or making the story up.

I assure you he is not making this up. Several people have witnessed what is going on in that house. His wife, brothers, mother in law and his aunt that visited from Thailand over two years ago. My co-worker has a strong faith in his beliefs which I don't know all the details but I know he believes that Christ is God and that he died for us. He is also very kind, gentle and is probably the most selfless person that I know. I wish he were Catholic and that maybe one day he will convert. Im not really sure that he is aware about the whole Protestant vs Catholic thing. Im sure that if here were Catholic he would be a much better Catholic than I am.

Thanks for any prayers that you may have offered for the potential soul in Purgatory that may be in need of prayers in this situation.
Blessings!
I'm not sure how but this post went all over the place without offering much help. I have been a paranormal investigator for many years. In my humble opinion, I might offer the following:
1)  DO NOT CHALLENGE THIS THING! I'll repeat in case someone missed it: DO NOT CHALLENGE. The only caveat being a trained Demonologist or a Priest.
2)  Definitely contact one of the above and see if they can help.
3)  I'm not sure if they would be open to it but maybe some rosaries for each family member and teach them to pray the Rosary.
4) They may be able to locate an investigation group in the area. Make sure they are the real deal. Oftentimes you can find one that works with clergy.
5) Lastly, I would try to teach them the prayers to St. Michael. 
Much of the advice given in other posts are good, just try and stay away from anything confrontational. Remember the parable of the spirit that returns with seven more if the house isn't properly protected.
I will remember both you and your friends in my prayers.
Bless you both!